Warning Ohio: DOT Inspections in all Rest Areas

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by zinita17601, Jun 11, 2015.

1. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    I drove thru new york for years never seen dot doing inspections in rest areas and about staying legal i got a warning once on a new,a week out of the dealer lot truck but that was in pa.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    They'll setup in rest areas on those picture perfect days. Twice this year that I've encountered (81 and 88 ) yet both were easy to dance around.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  4. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Ohio likes to do their own little mini-blitz, after the hubbub from the big one dies down and people go back to being complacent. Same with NY. In my line of work, I'm not usually driving anywhere near any place they set up, but the roving scale vans are annoying.

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Stopped in two service areas along the I-80 toll road yesterday and never saw a DOT in sight. Was a lot of talk on CB about DOT being in there, but they must sure have been in stealth mode.

6. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    How are you going to get paid if your brakes are out of adjustment? Want to get shutdown? What about lights that could be out from enroute travel? The measuring system is 100% negative towards truck and driver with no positive points what so ever.
    I use to drive brand new trucks for a company and I got tickets for a dirty license plate, shutdown once for a taillight out, ticketed for a dime size chip in the windshield. In due time with enough inspections you'll see and learn.

7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I don't think it is fair to target truckers and hassle them for inspections at rest areas and truck stops. We need a break, we might need repair or to check on cargo. Anyone that receives a ticket at a truck stop, rest area or is woken up by the DOT should fight the tickets. If you get a ticket leaving the truck stop or rest area that could be fair game, but not before reaching that point. You can't fix an airplane in the air, and you can't fix a truck trying to get to a stopping point.

born&raisedintheusa and mneph Thank this.
  8. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Actually it was an article on a trucking magazine(forgot the name)about a trucker who was woken up by a dot officer while taking his ten,he took em to court and he won

9. hunted

hunted Medium Load Member

If you have nothing wrong with your unit then you have nothing to worry about

10. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    You are either new to this industry or don't understand how dot operates. you may think your clean and have nothing to hide but its been my experience non of that matters dot is above the law if they want to find something they always do even if it means making up a new law to nail you on something they will. half of those guys don't even know they laws but there is always a grey area they can get you on. so yes they make us nervous and for good reason.

11. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    You keep on thinking that & you will find out different one of these days.

6wheeler and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.