Warning: SWIFT sign on bonuses are a scam

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Driver#3141592, Oct 17, 2020.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I am thinking exactly what you are thinking. Its preposterous to fight a giant for what amounts to be 1500 dollars. It makes me think, #### he hella broke. When I talked to recruiters, the bonus talk meant nothing to me. I only cared about freight and miles. I wanted to know what was hitting the bank account every Friday. Anyway, so Swift is starting drivers at 40 cpm which ain't bad for rookies and he took the sign on bonus instead of the quarterly bonus....so he ####ed himself basically. So you're saying if he had waited 2 more quarters he could go back to getting quarterly bonuses?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yes you can make decent money at swift if u run. I had 3 months there over 5k take home checks. The paper in orientation about the sign on bonus and quarterly bonus . After reading it and doing some math , i decided not to sign it because i wanted the quarterly bonus and they said no problem. So i got quarterly bonuses instead. It was only for the first 2 quarters of employment as a solo drivers. So basically your first 6 months. But the bonus is .5cpm so 10 k miles a month for 6 months comes out to like 3k in bonus. So really its like 500 dollars hes complaining about when he could make that back in 3 days running down the road

LoSt_AgAiN Thanks this.
  4. Driver#3141592

Driver#3141592 Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2020
    No. I'm not a liar. You two just suck at math. I was paid 0.43 per mile. 0.30 is a number you pulled out of thin air. And I already told you I never signed a paper about the bonus program. I'm not going to put up with you two (including Tibbit) insulting me. You're both going on ignore.

Oh, and "orientation" during the pandemic is one day where you do almost nothing. If this paper exists then they forgot to ask me to sign it. They skipped almost the entire orientation including that part.

5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Sheesh .43 cents a mile at 120k miles a year(which is very easy to do at swift) . Do the math. Thats quite decent money and u are caught up on 1500 or 3000 or whatever it is

LoSt_AgAiN Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  7. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    I am at $66,880 gross with 2 more months. call that garbage?

8. 3523

3523 Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    If your bonus was $1500 that means you ran 30,000 miles in 3 months or 2500 per week. At 43 cpm that is good starting pay and not even close to a horror story. You could do waaaay worse.

You should call Swift and politely (I know you’re upset but still) ask them where it is stated that you will only get one of the bonuses. If they can show you then you might save yourself some time and effort.

9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I started at 25cpm. Granted, that was nearly 10 years ago.
    I'm at 60cpm now, but 8 is due to being regional.

I have noticed over the years that Swift has been the front runner in increasing driver pay.
    They don't make a big deal with it, they just do it.
    I remember the first large increase in driver pay several years ago. Swift simply did it with no fanfare, and then all the others were advertising pay increases a month or so later.

My pay has not increased as much as the starting pay, so I guess I am lagging behind with the increases if I choose to look at it that way.
    But I think it is great that new drivers can make that much more to start out.

It's really a shame that some new drivers can not accept how good they have it, even with questionable bonus tactics.

And I don't think most drivers start out a Bronze ranking, unless they are not doing many miles at all.
    The ranking system is based on a rolling one year average of your miles. As such a new driver is ranked based on what was driven in the first month for the starting average, the first and second month for the next, and so on.
    Start out with a golden month and the driver could be ranked as Platinum. That would be 6cpm bonus pay if the driver could keep up the average for 3 months.
    Easy if one starts out in the right time of the year, not so easy if winter is just ahead.

$1.500 is based on a Gold rating at ~10k miles per month.
    That is averaging 2500 per week.
    But even at the OTR level, that would put you well into the Platinum range.
    Average just under 2100 per month and you are Platinum.
    108,000+ per year/month is Platinum level as an OTR driver.
    You could drop below that with a few bad weeks and be stranded at Gold for a few months.

Maintain that for 3 years and you go to Diamond, with all those perks.

dptrucker Thanks this.
  10. Driver#3141592

Jun 26, 2020
    I call that a dedicated account. That's not even close to attainable with Swift OTR.

11. Driver#3141592

Jun 26, 2020
    There are 13 weeks in a quarter, not 12. I averaged 2375 miles per week in the 14 weeks I was with Swift. That is awful. If you disagree and consider 2375 miles per week to be acceptable for an efficient, experienced OTR driver who never takes any time off then let me know.

Not only is 0.43 a little low for my level of experience but it doesn't really matter. If there's no miles to multiply it by the number could be something good and the total pay would still be bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.