Warning to newbies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by eptp88, May 16, 2007.

1. LKat

LKat Light Load Member

May 5, 2007
    To all of you ex-military:

Every now and again, I forget that I have the privilege of living in a place where I can drive a truck if I want to. Or I can pick up cans if I want to. And I can speak my mind about all of it if I really want to!

Thanks, Daddy - and thanks to all of you.
    I'm privileged to be a Tin Can Sailor's daughter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. red95king

red95king Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2007
    AZ
    Only when you're digging a ditch...:biggrin_25525:

4. bb_devil

bb_devil Bobtail Member

May 23, 2007
    Utah
    When I started driving (3 years ago) I gave up almost averything in my life. Driving mostly in the west, missing my kids and wife, friends, etc. but focused on learning the job.

After 1 year, started with a local (intermodal) company. I'm getting same money (even more sometimes) and I'm home every night (ussually at 4 or 5 PM)

I don't think trucking is that much sacrifice. Just take a look at the different options you have. There's more than you think out there.

5. wackywoodie

wackywoodie Bobtail Member

May 14, 2007
    Pekin, Il
    eptp88 you say that's bad, you didn't give it a chance in any job it takes longer than that to make a judgement, we have men and women in the services that don't see thier families for months to a year and get shot at and get paid less than that, and yet you whine about being able to see your family for 48 days a year making what you did

6. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    I JUST FINISHED MY FIRST MONTH BY MYSELF. AFTER STUDYING UP ON THE INDUSTRY INS AND OUTS HERE AND ON LOTS OF OTHER CO SITES AND FORUMS ALIKE I DECIDED IT WAS A CHOICE I COULD LIVE WITH. WAS BORED SOME, BUT IF YOU ARE OUTGOING AND FRIENDLY YOU CAN OVERCOME MOST OF THE BOREDOM AND LONLINESS BY CHATTING ON THE CB WITH OTHER DRIVERS ,TALKING TO DRIVERS AT TRUCKSTOPS ETC. I HAVE UNLIMITED MINUTES CELL TO CELL WITH WIFE SO WE TALK ALOT. WHEN NOT DOING THAT I JUST RIDE ALONG LISTENING TO MUSIC AND ENJOYING THE SCENERY. ITS A BUEATIFUL COUNTRY OUT THERE YA JUST GOTTA LOOK OUTSIDE THE WHITE LINES EVERY NOW AND THEN:biggrin_255:

7. Jim's Fiancee

Jim's Fiancee Bobtail Member

May 17, 2007
    My man is a Truck Driver,he started out with Schneider last year and is now driving for Knight Refrigerated. He also did 9 years of service n the US Army with several deployments,one of them being to Iraq...........
    Yes Trucking is a hard job,and you spend lots of time away from home.
    But my Jim loves his Truck and his Trucking job and I'm VERY proud of my man for being a Trucker (and yeah he does complain all the time but as I said he loves it-lol) and also for having served our country.
    My Daddy used to be a Trucker as well and all I can say is I'm proud to be a Trucker's Bride!
    God Bless You all and stay safe out there!
    Nat

8. ruggrat007

ruggrat007 <strong>Ms. Diplomacy</strong>

May 30, 2007
    So. Louisiana
    Any job has a slow start. And just like many things in life everyone is not cut out for that particular job, or situation. It's a matter of how far you want to take it. Sometimes we feel what we have to do for what we get doesn't weigh out in the end. I'm sure you're doing what's best for you and your family. Good Luck!!!!

ruggrat007

9. BruBakers

BruBakers Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2007
    I been thinking about getting into trucking for the last year. IM glad I found this site! Learned alot and still learning. The only thing I do like about the trucking business is the hours. I don't mind working long hours. I sold cars for awhile, so I worked 9-12 hours days, 6 days a week...but I did not spend the night at the dealership, I went home after work. I have a few friends who are firemen, they work 24 hours on, then 2 to 3 days off. You think the trucking Unions would require at least two days off a week, if your work 10 to 11+ hours a days, and then on top of that, you have to live in the company truck. Granted not all trucking jobs work these long days and hours....and longer you been in the business the better jobs you can get.

10. Hill-a-billy

Hill-a-billy Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2007
    South Carolina
    The way it's set up now more time off equals less pay.:biggrin_2553:

11. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Well to get the full effect when you get home from work sleep in your closet. Have someone beat on the door every now and then to wake you up and set an alarm clock to beep every few hours as a qualcomm simulator.:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.