Warranty Answers

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Belials, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I agree with 100% on that. And I stated that on an earlier post.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    You should get aftertreatment warranty on any new truck you purchase regardless of the engine in it (excluding glider kits of course)

Yesterday on Facebook I saw two people arguing whether or not Ford or Chevy was the better brand based on their personal experiences. It's an argument as old as time and that's never going to end.

Neither will Paccar vs Cummins vs CAT vs Detroit etc. They all have their issues, but I certainly don't think it's fair to pick on the newest addition (Paccar) when the others have much more years of experience. Additionally - the newer MX engines are much more reliable than the early ones, which is typical for most new products. Over time they've gotten more and more reliable.

There's several large fleets who have switched from primarily Cummins powered to primarily MX powered.

Obviously some individuals and some fleets will have their issues. Some of those issues may be legitimate complaints and others will be improper maintenance by the end user, but putting the blame on the engine.

Never underestimate the end user and how badly they can cause problems. For example, I've had fleets with natural gas trucks routinely bring their trucks to us for work, pay out $2,000+ in labor each time for us to fix problems they caused by not doing the routine maintenance required of natural gas engines and then 6 months later they'd be back with the same issue.

$2,000 later we'd remind them of the work they needed to do to prevent this from happening. They'd get mad that we weren't warrantying their preventative maintenance issues.

On top of it all, neither us nor Cummins installed the natural gas system that was "failing" - it was a third party and they were the only people who could do the warranty. But, they absolutely insisted that because it was on a Peterbilt, and the engine was natural gas equipped, we must be able to do the warranty for the issues they were causing themselves.

So I'll say again - never underestimate how many issues are caused by the end user. They're often less knowledgeable than they think they are.

4. jeff18

jeff18 Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2014
    pittsburgh, pa
    Thank you for the response. This will be my first peterbilt.

Belials Thanks this.
  5. JoelH

JoelH Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Belials, I have a 579 Peterbilt I bought new this year and have had some issues with the steering. The truck is unable to be used right now and has been at the dealer for 26 days and they still don't know what's causing the steering to shake violently back and forth when I hit a bump. The steering box has been changed, spring hangers, wheels balanced, alignment, new drag link, tie rods, etc. and it still shakes until you stop the truck.The dealer keeps blaming PACCAR for the slowness of the repair, saying they have to follow procedures. My questions to you are:

1) What does PACCAR usually do in situations like this to compensate for long periods of downtime?
    2) Have you seen anyone be successful at hiring an attorney to get compensation from PACCAR for faulty equipment?
    3) Are warranties typically extended (time wise) when new trucks have spent a large amount of time in the shop waiting to have a warranty issue repaired?

Thanks for you time in answering these questions

6. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    What's the last six of your VIN? You can PM me it.

7. Jftransport

Jftransport Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Hello def light started flashing truck went into derate took to Peterbilt dealer the code was for low def pressure, dealer was instructed by Paccar to empty def tank and send them pictures now they are claiming they’re traces of diesel in the system. I am the only person to drive the truck and did not put diesel in def.
    Any advise?

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I would tell them to prove that the container they drained the def into had never been used before. If they drained it into a Shop pan it’s liable to have anything in it.
    @pushbroom may be able to help

9. Jftransport

Jftransport Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Thank you for your response. I have warranty but I can already see problems with coverage. I have a 2019 Peterbilt and this is the third time going in for similar issues with regens and smoking and even smelling like oil. It’s been a nightmare with wasted time at the shop.

062 Thanks this.
  10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Are you taking it to the same shop or same chain ie. rush?

11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Do you idle a lot? Which Rush dealer are you referring to?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.