Waste of time/money?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 7121vt, Jul 19, 2017.

1. 7121vt

7121vt Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Gary, Indiana
    I've been thinking about trying to get back into the driver's seat, I'm just not sure if I should try it now or wait a few years for some things to drop off.
    I got my license through one of CR England's CDL mills in 2011, fell for their lease driver shtick, wasn't breaking even, so I quit and found a local doing food and tobacco delivery for about a year before I moved on to Schneider on the Family Dollar account(YIKES!). Over about 6 months, I racked up 4 non recordables on my DAC. I'll cop to two of them, the other two I will be disputing. Number 4 was what got me fired, a "Struck overhead object" which was hitting a tree limb hanging over the road, which I misjudged how low it was. They let me drop the trailer at the store and drive the tractor to the yard to empty my belongings and pick up my car. On the way home in my car, pissed off, I racked up a 70/35 speeding ticket. Having a Challenger made it too easy. I know that normally comes with a reckless, but I
    guess the cop was merciful because I had no citations for the previous 6 years, it was relatively rural, and I was clearly distraught.
    I was only able to get a temporary job delivering landscaping rocks/brick and plants and after that was over, I surrendered my CDL because I couldn't afford a sleep study.

I was in a bad place in my life at the time, but there's no excuse for being so stupid apart from maybe needing some better training.

I've changed and grown quite a bit in the last few years, thanks in no small part to my wife and son, who were not present at the time. I need to give them a better life and this is by best chance. I don't need to hear "maybe this isn't the industry for you". In the past, sure, but now I believe it is.

So the plan is to go to truck driving school again to refresh my skills, but a real one this time, through the community college maybe. I work in fulfillment for a major online retailer now and they give us Restricted Stock and offer Tuition Assistance up to $3000/yr . I'll have 4 RSU's vesting in late October and I can start the tuition program at any time. The only hesitation I have is because of the big ticket and DAC dings, and the sleep apnea test to get my med card(that is a minor concern, I have insurance now). I talked briefly with a local law office about the MVR and they said while it would have been better for me to get a lawyer when it happened, we could probably get it expunged or at least changed to something like a seat belt or insurance ticket because it was coded as an ordnance violation.
    The other option is to wait another three years for the incidents to drop off the DAC and the ticket will drop the details on my MVR.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Dac is wack! But that ticket is the problem. Some companies would bring you on. But the better companies won't touch you.

7121vt Thanks this.
  4. 7121vt

7121vt Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Gary, Indiana
    The ticket is most definitely my biggest concern. I know at least two small locals that will hire me if I can get the ticket knocked off and get the CDL back.

5. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Did the tree limb do any damage to truck or trailer?

6. 7121vt

7121vt Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Gary, Indiana
    Yep, the trailer got a hole in it. Missed the tractor. I never figured that part out.

7. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    That ticket is the hurdle. But if ex felons can get hired there's always hope. Go for it.

7121vt Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How much money do you make now?
    What is the bare minimum money you need?
    There's some 2nd chance companies that might hire you plus some companies on Craigslist that aren't too picky as long as you can pass a urine drug test.
    Where is your location? Put it on your profile in case some drivers on here can give you some leads.
    www.rpmhst.com has information on sleep apnea.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. 7121vt

7121vt Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Gary, Indiana
    Paltry. $13.40 hourly. Mostly 40 hr weeks, overtime is rare at my site. Probably averages 29k, plus I have insurance and 401k. So match or better, which I know is easily doable. As for the sleep apnea thing, I don't think I have it, I sleep well, but I've gotten fat and had a big neck even when I was in shape. So I know they'll want me to test.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    First, get your cdl back.
    At least you have 2 small local companies that will hire you.
    Carolina Cargo will hire you to run teams to California every week. Make between $600 - $700 weekly, which isn't much for a trucker, but it keeps the cdl active and you get experience on your resume.
    TransAm might also hire you after getting your cdl back, but not sure.

tman78 and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    @7121vt

$13.40 an hour X 40 hours = $536 a week

$536 a week X 52 weeks = $27,872 a year

THANKFULLY & FORTUNATELY, you have insurance and a 401(K) plan. For the time being, do your absolute best to hang to this job.

Where is your location?

Good luck to you! God bless you and your family!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.