Watch out for--> robert@crenglandlogistic.com

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Capital G, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Capital G

Capital G Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2017
    TX
    Did you catch it in the subject line?

I booked a load out of Chicago, IL with a rep that seemed desperate. I posted my truck in Chicago, IL at 1pm and got a call from a "Robert gonzales". Standard 1 and 1, IL-FL, Requested $3600, and he stated he is fine with it as long as I pick before 5pm, and send in the BOL to ensure pallet count. I was expecting $2200-$2600 pushback..

He sent the rate con, which was in the same format as a normal England Logistics rate con. HIs signature had the England Logistics logo. The thing is, CR England is the asset arm, and England Logistics is the brokerage. I've never seen an email address combine the two. Then, logistic vs. logistics in the email address....

I then called him out for trying to screw me. Didn't care for what he had to say, but I got mine out.

I then called England Logistics, and a female rep already knew who I was talking about. She said he got 8 carriers already. He's just looking for the fuel advances, and leaving you screwed. Please PLEASE pay attention to detail. I've been doing this for 5 years and this is the first time this has happened to my Co. Glad it was me who booked the load.

As if we don't have enough bull#### to deal with on the daily.

Be safe out there and always have your eyes wide open TTR fam.

stugats, TallJoe, daf105paccar and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    What kind of scam is this guy running?

4. Capital G

Capital G Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2017
    TX
    He had another company's info and posed as a carrier. Then turned around and edited the rate con with a fake name in it, and issued it to me.

His goal was to get a copy of the BOL from me once I loaded, and he submits that to the original broker he booked the load with to get a fuel advance, and leave me with the load and no ties to the actual broker

TallJoe, MrReactor, Bakerman and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I gotcha.

6. MrReactor

MrReactor Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Wow - this is actually a brilliant idea.

7. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    This is a pretty standard fuel advance scam. He'll call freight brokers pretending to be a carrier and book a load. Then he'll call carriers pretending to be a freight broker and book the load. He'll usually offer to do it for nearly nothing with the broker and more money than anyone would ever pay to the carrier so that both say yes. He then calls the broker after the load picks up as the carrier and gets a fuel advance. Then he cashes it and disappears.

Always, always, always verify the information on everyone you do business with. When you guys get a fuel advance and the brokerage makes you jump through flaming hoops this is the reason why. They are doing it to protect themselves, and to a lesser extent you. You need to be doing the same thing when you interact with independent agents for freight brokerages. My brokerages website allows you to verify my phone number to make sure I'm a legit agent without even having to call in and check.

EDIT: Such a slow pony lol

8. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    If I was a broker, I would not deal with someone who needs a fuel advance.

Ruthless and IH Truck Guy Thank this.
  9. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Not gonna lie I'm not a fan of fuel advances. They are basically all risk and no reward for the individual broker (we do not get a cut of the fuel advance charge... pretty much anywhere in the industry). That being said I probably make 3-5k a year personally off trucks that need fuel advances so there would be a meaningful cost to refusing to do them.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  10. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I could also see this from the carrier side. If you are unsure of the broker, at least get the cost of fuel covered in the event of nonpayment or slow pay.

7seriestv Thanks this.
  11. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    If you're unsure of the broker don't haul the load. Lord knows I don't give freight to carriers I'm not sure of. If something seems too good to be true it almost certainly is. Always look a gift horse in the mouth in this business.

EDIT: The reality is that you have to make up a lot of revenue to make up for not getting paid. Customers and brokers both will try to screw you by charging back stuff that they shouldn't or simply not paying you at all. Yeah a load might pay a couple hundred bucks better than another load, but you don't have to not get paid very often for that to be a bad deal.

Looking at it mathematically let's say load A pays better than load B by 300 dollars. The load is for 3000 dollars. You have to get paid 90% of the time to break even on load A vs load B. In real life it's often more like 150 dollars into 3000 and you need to get paid 95% of the time. If you feel uncomfortable about the situation at all you probably aren't getting enough extra money to make it a justified risk.

In my world it's much more stark. Customers frequently owe me mid six figure sums of money. If one of them decides not to pay I'm going to be involved in at least two lawsuits, possibly more and my entire business will get shaken to its core. I'll have to go out and get a new brokerage, transition all of my existing customers to that new brokerage, and fight the lawsuit from my current brokerage until I win or lose everything I own that the bankruptcy court can take. By the time the fat lady sings on that scenario my life will be a smoking ruin.

Getting screwed by customers who refuse to pay what they owe is probably one of the leading causes of small business owners like us going out of business. It's very important to treat it as the massive risk factor that it is.

All of the above is why when your factoring company turns down someone you want to haul a load for you should be grateful. You just dodged a potentially very harmful bullet. It's why I certainly don't get pissed when my brokerage looks at someone's credit and says it's a hard pass.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.