Watch out for the little things

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Flashdrive7, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I would like to post a tiny bit of advice relating to saftey. We all know about speed, fatigue, safety equipment etc. It's the little things that can surprise you.
    . I delivered at a warehouse where you back in doors closed, yeah, swing doors. The receiver breaks the seal and opens up. On leaving, I stopped at the gate for the security check. I was working the door latch and found that it was not closed properly. There was tention on the handle and it sprang loose out of my hand and swung at my face. I've never boxed in competition but have done some sparring. I pulled my head back and felt the handle whiz past my chin. Close call.

A couple of years ago, I saw a driver climbing down from inside his trailer. He sat on the edge and hopped the short distance down. His finger was caught in a gap in the door frame and pulled his finger off his hand at the joint.

Everyone be safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
  4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I have no ACL in my left knee. Do not jump out of a trailer.

5. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    If it was better lit out here in the yard I wouldn't have stepped into that pot hole wrecking my acl. Jump off of trailer, never happened.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I did the same thing jumping off a trailer a couple years ago only it was my wedding ring that got caught and dislocated the finger. Still hurts, but I can't wear my ring any more.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Somebody needs to design and market some sort of "step ladder" that fits over a steer tire to provide a secure step up onto the tire to clean the windshield at Loves who seems to never have long handle squeegees.

Lepton1, stwik, bottomdumpin and 3 others Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Don't do a walk around at night where there is poor or no premise lighting without a good flashlight.

Odin's Rabid Dog and Flashdrive7 Thank this.
  9. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    'Watch out for the little things'

That's what I told her.

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Don't exit a trailer in the dark that may be backed up to a hole or low drop-off. It's amazing how much the human brain assumes a given distance to hard surface and when this distance in the dark is 4+ inches plus or minus, bad things happen on eventual impact.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. some other trucker

some other trucker Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2018

https://www.uniquetruck.com/search/?searchterm=Tire+step

hagarcobra, dunchues and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.