Watching ice road truckers and...

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Gunner75, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    they Havre this new girl on here that they are describing as a rookie. She's driving for polar. Now I'm assuming she's a rookie to the ice road. But she's hauling a load of flatbed items like lumber. I see 4 typical 10 foot packs stacked like normal, then 4 other smaller packs on top. They loaded it in the rear spread. They show the way she secured it and she only uses 2 straps. I immediately call ######## because she's going down rough slick roads, i would be using at a minimum of 4 straps and possibly 2 belly straps. Sure enough she has a load shift out in the middle of no where. So then she gets one strap through the middle and manages to pull one pack back over, but leaves the others sticking out and throws one more strap over. Now ill give her credit on trying to fix it some, but had she secured it correctly to begin with, she wouldn't have had a shift.

My wife tells me im full of #### because its all scripted. Sure it's scripted, but you don't script a load shift

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    yeah,they can script a shifted load. its all scripted.

alds, mitmaks, spyder7723 and 5 others Thank this.
  4. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I can't see this one be m begging scripted cause it didn't happen till she hit a massive hole doing ankle 30 the trailer bounced up and #### near rolled over. I can see telling her to drive faster and that causing her to hit the hole harder, but i can't see them risking hurting someone for the show

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Locals who make a living on the roads really love the shows shenagins sometimes .. I think they have to move off the main roads to do their jackknifes and spin outs now

alds, Lepton1 and fargonaz Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I watched the same show tonight. The driver is a rookie in her early years.

I too noticed the load shift and had plans for it because it happened to me too at times. But out there is not the place to have bad or inadequate securement.

My diagnosis of her issue is speed. If she had the trailer slide left violently enough to shift that lumber that much that quick... she was speeding.

It wont be the first time I detected some overspeeding (A little fast at times) from this particular IR Driver. In time I think she will mellow out and not speed so much out there.

Now... the show overall...

I think they occasionally edit for content to a bit of drama at times for the consumption of a mass of population who will never touch a big truck. And once in a while I have to toss stuff at the TV set knowing the rig is fixing to get into something and sure enough it does.

Example, Lisa, the older one. She was trying to slow down a little bit but came up on a steeply sloped left hand curve that was almost blind and on ice with a hill slope gauranteed to slide the whole thing sideways into that right hand bank. And sure enough she slides kerplunk right into it as soon gravity took over.

In years past I think there was some abuse on purpose to the trucks. Ive taken some hits myself with rigs over the years and the rigs absorbed the hits or became airborne believe it or not... (Believe it...) with certain damage and concenquences... I don't talk about all of them online.

There is one item I am still laughing over to this day, there was a strong driver, somewhat younger he hooked on to a trailer 40 yards from a Crown Scalehouse. He got pulled in and onto the scale after driving 40 yards with the trailer he just picked up. Got a overweight ticket and so on. His line was that the scale house boss should have gotten laid.

That was like years ago in one of the early shows of IRT and Im still laughing. It's great.

I do miss Darrell. I saw alot of me in him. But thankfully I am not him. Never will be. That is one driver who generally for the most part knows what has to be done.

But Steph has a lot of potential, if only she will ease up on the hammer a little bit more. Those trailers come loose for a reason.

And yes she should have tossed many straps onto those lumber loads. Im not going to get into the nitty gritty about working strengths, weight capacity etc tonight. I refuse to. I had a state of mine to toss everything onto all of my flatbed loads, whatever it may be. That was me making sure that God can pick up my truck, play with it in his sandbox upside down and the load should stay put. Shrugs.

7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    That show is so full of B.S. I almost can't stand watching it. The whole show is phony. The only driver that's worth a grain salt is Lisa. The rest are bunch ####### if you ask me.
    Highway thru hell. Now that's a show worth watching. That's the real deal right there.

burnsey, misterG, AModelCat and 7 others Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know about that highway through hell sometimes. I like Jamie, but I also like Gord and company. However... I do NOT like the ... newbies who failed to chain up prior to the pass. They get halfway up and stuck. And you wonder why.... Jamie's Boy is such a whiny kid wanting to lift weights rather than throw 200 pound chain.... something is wrong with him. But I don't get to see him anymore on that show so I think he's moved on with his precious weights...

Also I get tired of the constant crying on that show from all the drivers saying road open yet? I never knew that Canadians need that much of a hand holding to wait out a heavy recovery. ///teasing...

Lisa is one of my favorite. The Preacher Man however is the tops in my book. I thought he was finished for good until some doctors managed to work and fix up his heart issues.

If you recall, some years ago the Weather Channel even had a trucking show. Most all of it was about being 34 minutes left to appointment and still 52 miles left to go to make it on time. It's real, but with a little better trip planning they would have focused on other things besides the constant threat of being late.

They even tried a show featuring Donner Pass with the tow trucks there and so on. But I think the producers were not that experienced when they had a go at producing it the first year. Its a little bit of a mess and I almost cannot stand watching it. Ive run donner a few times but always waited out the worst of the storms in either Sac, Salinas or Reno or Fallon before coming through. They will usually reschedule appointment times and dates.

ive said enough for tonight with those kinds of shows, there is always something in there I think is BS. Hell people come here and tell me I am BS, they get to go on the ignore list LOL.... But if I see too much BS from the content on the paid satellite tv, I might just call them and cancel the whole thing. Most of it is reruns anyway and not really worth the funds spent.

There is one good thing about sat TV, I pick up Camden AR TV in the daytime that runs classic shows westerners and Mayberry stuff. They are broadcasting too far for me to pick up on the digital tuner. Redfield tower gives me the rest of the channels but the #### thing has a range of 70 miles and 2000 feet high, about 68 miles from me as the crow flies.

Has anyone tried to find Mayberry NC on the motor carriers atlas? he he he.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  9. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I can't stand watching it. Saw some visiting with relatives and noticed the trailer that got the door wrecked just so happened to have no landing gear and looked like junk. Fancy that. Not to mention the only guy to die did so in a plane crash, while they talk up how dangerous it all is.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    People won't watch the show if nothing goes wrong. Fake as a wax apple and just as tasty.

spyder7723, Orangees and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    WTF guys.
    The show is ice road truckers not training course for flatbadders how to secure load.

snowwy and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.