Watkins-Shepard Acquired by Schneider

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by 3031, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Fstnlow2004

Fstnlow2004 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Ya for company drivers... but their owner op division I hear is pretty good, no complaints from that side. I have a few trucks with Watkins so I'm crossing my fingers this move is easy and worth it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BackIsSore

BackIsSore Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    I agree and would hold off if you're an O/O. But they're not going to let company drivers run rogue in comparison to their Swift hand holding standards. Never head any good out of company that pushes per diem on their drivers.

4. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    You need to read the SNI thread about O/O. Lots of changes going on.

5. BackIsSore

BackIsSore Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    Sounds like they've been tearing up the IC program ever since there's a line out the door to get in.

TennMan Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'm not a Punkin advocate by any stretch, but I am into the truth. And just as you said about the intermodal, the local gig I'm doing for them is the same, as long as you make your stops on time, you can do as you please. But we are not supposed to go over 59. Yes 59. I even get passed by Slime.
    And I absolutely think they exploit the drivers. I need today & 5 more weeks to get on with other local companies. I just can't view them as anything other than a stepping stone or a stop gap. How some of these dudes could stay for years is way beyond me, to each his own.
    They get my best effort, I believe if you cheat someone you only cheat yourself, so while I'm here I get jiggy wid it, but, 1 day & 5 more weeks. :cool:

bzinger and Tac-Lift Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Schneiders DOT physical is the purest form of cattle walk. If you do not get a 2 year card at that physical, you probably need to make sure your affairs are in order, and make some funeral arrangements for yourself.

Bo Hunt Thanks this.
  8. JV_620

JV_620 Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    I thought that Watkins-Shepard was one of the only companies that offered newbies (like myself) a different path to getting into your own truck without having to go out with a trainer for any long amount of time (until you request another trainer or if he just throws you off of his truck if it's not working out between the both of you) :(. Can anyone speak about this, or for that matter, speak of alternatives for the 6-8 weeks with a trainer that might present itself to be, to say the least, in some situations, uncomfortable?

9. JV_620

JV_620 Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    Schneider is one of the companies that the training school that I'm about to attend, accept recent student graduates out of. So, while it's rather refreshing to hear that they're not big about the sleep apnea issue, keep in mind that from what I understand, you will still need to pass they're company oriented physical capabilities test, or CBT, which if you have a bit of trouble pulling, pushing or squatting which for the more rounded-shaped fellows, like myself may have an issue with. Seems as if while they can't weed you out for one issue, they can do it another way.

10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Like you said your a trainee. Your already worried about your trainer.
    Here's a perspective you need to grasp. As a trainee your not even dog vomit yet.
    Schneider's physical is about as easy as it gets, if you can't pass, your probably going to die in the next few weeks.

alghazi Thanks this.
  11. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Yes 2 weeks training at orientation with Watkins you get a truck as long as you can pass the trainers lol. But it's a very very intensive training program. If you have any questions about it let me know.

As far as the training I hear it will not change.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.