Watkins/Shepard or Interstate dist.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by caribu, Jul 26, 2007.

1. caribu

caribu Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Ok it's my turn to ask the question! lol I appreciate what this site has to offer I hav been reasearching companies to go with for about 2 months. I'm 53 20 yrs truck driving exp. haven't driven for 11 yrs I let my cdl expire:biggrin_25513: I will be graduating from a driving school here in Nor Cal Aug 17th and W/S and Interstate have ask me to their orintations. I'm single with a dog I don't need to drive a lot of miles to make ends meet. I appreciate any and all input. rick

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. B-rad

B-rad Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I have checked closely with Watkins/Shepard and they have a great 10 training program for student graduates from another school and then you are sent out with your own truck without a trainer. They however expect new drivers to drive 10,000 miles a month and experienced to drive 12,000. They start you at .29 cpm.

Interstate has a 5-6 week driver training program with a driver trainer and not sure of the miles per month they expect. They pay $400 a week for the first 3 weeks and then $500 a week for the next 2-3 weeks.

4. caribu

caribu Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Thanks B-Rad, I like the 10 day get er done orientation/training that W/S offers. The thought of being couped up in a truck with a trainer 4-6 weeks:biggrin_2556:

5. DragginMan

DragginMan Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    north AL
    I hear ya fella. I had 4 weeks with a trainer who smoked, felt liked I was driving around high the entire time!!!!!!!!! Sucks being forced into such a close environment with a total stranger!!!!!!!

6. caribu

caribu Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2007
    That is what I'm afraid of dragginman. My instructer I have now is 15 yrs younger than me and even though he doesn't say much when I'm driving he still gives me the LOOK. :biggrin_25524: I don't know if I could handle that LOOK from a trainer for 8 weeks!! Well I could I'm pretty easy goin:biggrin_25526:

7. DragginMan

DragginMan Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    north AL
    I scared my trainer with my knowledge!!!!:biggrin_2551: I had driven "B" class commercially for 7 1/2 years, often in vehicles with worse turning radius' than the Intl 9200/48'spread axle combo we were in. He said my turns were scaring him cause his other trainees CRAWLED thru turns or had to TOTALLY stop mid-turn to correct!!:biggrin_2559: I, on the other hand, would turn at a rate of speed and smoothness comparative to the trainer!! He didn't like sitting over in the jump seat while some1 who knew what they were doing was driving!:biggrin_25524: Hell, he slept 1/2 the time! I told him I wanted cut loose at 2 weeks, but of course he was making $$$$$$$$ off me so that wasn't gonna happen:biggrin_25516:

8. GungHoGal

GungHoGal <strong>"Miss Oh! Don't get me started"</strong>

May 11, 2007
    I just went went through my training with interstate... I am wondering if they would actually make you do the 5-6 weeks in the truck with a trainer with your experience or allow you to skip to the local training and call it good. Interstate is very easy to get along with. All you have to do is communicate how many miles you are looking for and they work with you. My husband and I team and do very well.. as a solo my husband averaged about 2800-3000 miles/week last year.. but we heard others getting around 2000. I don't think it would hurt to check into it further and explain your situation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.