Watkins Shepard Short Training Period

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by xr7conv, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Man aint that the truth! I stopped eating at buffets for that very reason. Its sickening some of the stuff you see.

xr7 you'll soon learn what is good and what isn't. FlyingJ's menu isn't too bad, but even there some of their stuff is good. Some tastes just like a card board box.
    What I will never understand is some of my non-trucking friends thinks that the J buffet is the best food. I just gag when they say it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xr7conv

xr7conv Light Load Member

I have always been amazed at what some people will eat and think is good. Must be that they have burned out their taste buds on booze, cigarettes or something.

You are right - a bit of experience will tell me what I need to know. Mostly I am waiting on getting a truck so that I can get a microwave installed and then I will do most of my own food. That way I know where it came from.

At terminal now waiting for the final plan of what truck I am supposed to get. May have to go further west to get one.... No bother to me so long as I get paid.

Keep the rubber side down....

4. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    Hi all,

I'm very interested in going to W&S for training and driving. Can someone tell me how much frieght handling would truly be involed? Any chance of getting all no-touch? I had back surgery 4yrs ago and am doing well, but would like to keep back stress to a minimum.

Thanx
    T

5. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    TSTONE
    Call Sandy at 1-800-548-8895 ext 464 He can give you all the details. You have to do a company Physical (test ) , he'll tell you what you have to lift ( lbs) how high how many times and whatever else you want to know. Good luck

6. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    thanx i'll do that

what did your physical consist of?

7. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca

I haven't taken it yet he just explained what they put you through

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    W&S physical is one of the most aggressive physicals I've had in a long time.

If you can pass the physical, you can unload the freight.

We don't spend all our time unloading/lifting. Much is done with hand carts and pallet jacks. And there is a lot of no-touch, depending on where you go.

I'm 47 yo, and have respiratory problems (slight). I have no trouble handling the freight. Even in the 101 degree heat I hit in Louisianna the other week.

9. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    Say Danc ... Do you do alot of stops or drop & hook ? I'm in Sac, Ca.close to I-5 was wondering about home time ? Are they a good company in your opinion ?

10. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    thanx dan - i've read that you seem to be the resident expert on W&S

my concern is how my back is going to hold up - i just spoke with sandy and she gave me the general rundown, i am trying to get her to email me the list so i can start training for it and see how i do - she told me that she has to check with her boss though about if she can send it to me

does anyone have the list as part of their training package that they can send me?

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I try to get loads with as many stops as possible. Lately, it's been difficult though. I can make 30-50% of my gross through stop pay. And a lot less driving. :)

My past 2 weeks ... I have had one multile stop load. The others were driver assist - 1 stop, or drop and hook.

Each terminal is differant. You'll need to speak directly with the terminal manager, or a recruiter to find out what your terminal offers.

Home time :D I'm home for at least 48 hours...unbroken each week. I generally get in on Friday. Sometimes Thursday, and rarely on Saturday.

If I get home on Thursday, I try to leave on sunday. Friday = Monday. And I occassionally get home during the week. Depending on the loads.

In my opinion, they are a good company. I've seen better, but I've seen a lot more that were much, much worse.

Don't let the low start pay fool you. They don't talk about a lot of the perks and additional pay you can get while here. I am very pleased with what I make. And the way they have treated me since I joined.

That said, you also have to keep in mind, my net to debt is only about 12% (not including utilities) and I could pay my bills flipping burgers at McDonalds. But I ain't going to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.