Weapon/Tool question

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Lady_Medusa_03, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Lady_Medusa_03

Lady_Medusa_03 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Forest City Pa
    I know you can't have guns, or knives as tools or weapons. And if you can't have a knife as a tool can you have a tazer?? a baseball bat counts as a tire pressure checker thinger. whereas i use my knives for screwdrivers and unwedger type tools. Hoping to get the job with prime and want something a lil more than a baseball bat and a bottle of mace.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
  4. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    You can't? Why not?

I carry in my truck, legally..

Faber Thanks this.
  5. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    You would be surprised what can be done with a 4 lb hammer Hold it just under the head, and the handle can also be a weapon. a Key can work as good as a knife stick it out between your pointer and middle finger. I carry a 3 foot hardwood staff. those are deadly! I would rather use that than a knife.

6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Just get you a couple of nice locking blades. Everybody carries one. And nobody will say anything about them, even on cross border inspections. Provided you declare them, and they aren't to big.

I won't split hairs on the great gun debate found within this forum. But carrying isn't that big a deal either. If done correctly.

You can read about dozens of improperly carried weapons that have been seized. And learn what is needed to carry legally and properly.

Check this site out for additional information. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

The authors of this site are national activist, and have often commented on the "mythical" illegal to carry in a commercial vehicle clause you read and hear so much about.

Done properly, you can carry/transport in all lower 48 states.

Faber Thanks this.
  7. Faber

Faber Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    always carried a nice Gerber knife folding blade (from wal-mart), used it for work also, carried it in a sheath on my belt, had a good size blade but since it was folding was less likely to attract attn. ...
    -knife could be taken out of sheath and with a wrist flip would swing out and lock blade....all 1 handed (as in if you had to restrain someone with your other hand)
    -also carried a spare door key in the sheath
    your not always gonna have a tire thumper on you, but a good size, locking blade, quality knife, that folds, and loosens up enuff to open quick with one hand....is less menacing to the public then a fixed blade knife, usually is on your belt under your shirt, with you everywhere, and can be excused as a work tool if necessary.
    -as far as guns, i honestly don't know the law....nor do i care, but i'm sure as #### not against it if done appropriately.

8. Lady_Medusa_03

Dec 15, 2008
    Forest City Pa
    wow was not aware of that, so as long as the state honors the permit for my home state i can carry??

9. Lady_Medusa_03

Dec 15, 2008
    Forest City Pa

i would love to know how to start the process to do that should i get hired at prime and if not i'll at least know for later use.

10. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Who says you cant have a knife?

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Go here http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Check the North Carolina box, then click the Build CCP button. It will show you a map of states that honor NC CC permit.

By checking the original site, (in my first post) you can build a concealed carry permit that will be honored in most states. Not all...but the majority.

It gets complicated for the first time user/buyer. As you need to check each state that doesn't honor your permit. Then cross reference the laws with other states that do honor it. Some states allow you to purchase a CCP as long as you have one in your home state. Which extends your CCP into other states that don't honor you home state issued CCP.

In other words, you may have to purchase 3 or more permits to maximize your carry status.

Carrying your weapon in other states will require other things from you. As in a lock box keeping ammo and weapon separate. In those states, it would be considered as transporting, and the laws vary.

You'll need to be very careful, since you are new at this. The last thing you want to do, is get arrested/fined for not following the law in a reciprocal state..

It's a $25 fine for failing to have your permit AND a valid ID on you in MS ;) And you'll most likely have to make a return trip to pick your gun back up :biggrin_25525:

In some states, you are required to announce to any officer, that you are armed and have a CCP. Some also require that you surrender your weapon while in the presence of an officer of the law.

Bottom line: You are responsible for knowing the laws which apply to you, and the states in which you travel. The website provided will give you much info, and provide links to other useful sites.

torque, Ken and Lady_Medusa_03 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.