wearing shorts in cooler weather ...

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by HFC, Sep 17, 2008.

1. HFC

HFC Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I was in the Country Pride Restuarant of the Travel Centers of America truck stop, Jessup, Maryland; yesterday (October 1, 2008) and saw only three drivers with shorts. One had demin shorts, the other two had gym shorts on but all three had sandals / shower shoes / flip flops.

All the other drivers had on regular pants except one guy who had on Liberty brand bib overalls.

In the travel store there were shorts on sale made from the same material that their cargo sweat pants are made from.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HFC

HFC Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2007
    That's October 1, 2008

I don't know how that emoticon (sp) got in there, sorry.

4. HFC

HFC Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2007
    The cargo sweat pants are seasonal items and only offered in cold weather months at that travel store (Travel Centers of America truck stop Jessup, Maryland).

Hence, if there are shorts made from the same material offered for sale at the same time, that tells me at least two companies (TA and Hiway Distributors) that sells to drivers thinks it's okay for wear shorts in wintertime.

5. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    What they REALLY think about is makin' a profit.
    If drivers wear 'em, ..... they'll sell 'em.
    Not only do drivers drive Big trucks,
    they also drive the Big market.
    Supply and demand.

And, as an added bonus, a Big truck brought those shorts the Big truck truck drivers buy.
    Job security?
    How cool is that? :biggrin_25525:

6. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

Well over the summer all I wore was shorts and sandals. But as the temps go down Jeans will come out. As for the sandals, If I can get by with it (Company Policies and safety issues) I will continue to wear. Feet still sweat wearing sandals in 30 degree weather. But since I am in between jobs at the moment, I may end up with a job that I will have to wear my boots.

7. woofless

woofless Light Load Member

May 24, 2008
    Armour, SD
    Feh...I'm late on this thread, but my husband wears shorts in the winter all the time. Why not? We're not flatbedders, car haulers....we sit behind the wheel and are outside long enough to fuel, or walk to the truck stop, or walk the dogs. Unless we're in Bismarck ND and it's 40 below, not much harm's gonna come from having chilly legs, LOL.

Both of us are hot-natured. Takes a LOT to make us cold. Case in point- we moved from Florida to South Dakota because we like the weather. Freezing temps? As long as the dog's water bowl isn't gonna freeze solid overnight, we shut the truck off and roll down the windows, LOL....

As much as I love the cold, I can't stand the way my legs look in shorts, so I never wear them. Haven't worn a pair of shorts in public since I was 14 years old (I am 26). Hot weather or not, I deal with it. Used to work outdoors in the Florida summers where my work uniform was pants. We had a "shorts" option but I never ordered any. So I can handle pants in any weather. My legs are shockingly white, LOL :).....

8. ZHillyard

ZHillyard Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Troy/Austin, Texas
    I find this thread funny.

I'm from Texas, where the summers get to 110 and are humid as Hell.
    I wear pants year-round. Can't get enough of my khaki pants. I don't do jeans, I don't do shorts of any kind.. Khaki pants, 365 days a year. :biggrin_25525:

9. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I very rarely wear shorts, even when we lived in Florida. About the only time I wore shorts down there was when we went to the beach. Otherwise I am almost always in jeans, and switch to sweatpants at night.

10. wahwah70

wahwah70 Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Bloomfield Hills, Mi.
    Well hey, at least your consistent...LOL

11. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I used to be a long pants guy. But that was when I worked in an office. About a year ago, I looked at myself in the mirror and said "Self, who the heck cares what other people think? Fishbelly white is a groovy fashion statement!" And lo, I started wearing shorts.

It was useful when trying to move in dark areas.

Now my legs are merely pale.

I draw the line at socks and sandals, though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.