Week One at Central Ref...(woman's perspective)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by techiekate29, Jul 12, 2009.

1. JESSICA1227

JESSICA1227 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2009
    pocatello,id
    is the permit test really hard?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Yogi4

Yogi4 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Carmichaels, Pa
    Yeah you can buy some microwave stuff. I went to walmart and bought a cheap styrofoam cooler and a bag of ice and I got a half gallon of milk and cheap cereal, some cups and spoons for breakfast. That way I'm not spending $5 or more for breakfast. The permit test isn't too hard if you study at least a week before you get here. We did backing today. That reminds me... bring sunscreen!! We are all burnt to a crisp and I had sunscreen on. Ok, Better get this sent while my internet connection is still halfway good. Later.

4. Viking

Viking Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Olympia, Washington
    This is invaluable information,Techiekate29! Thank you! I was thinking of applying to this particular company and getting my feet wet in trucking. Without this here i would have probably showed up without even knowing you could get a CDL guide from the DMV and wearing flip-flops. I hope everything works out for you, and the others attending this training course, And who knows, perhaps I'll be following your footsteps shortly.

5. buzzbait

buzzbait Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2009
    GA/SC line
    Thanks Kate, great post, very informative and well structured, good luck and God Bless!

6. 1badz28

1badz28 Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2008
    savannah georgia
    thanks for your postings kate you have done an excellent job with this thread. i remamber meeting you when you were in school the last time i was in wvc. but yall just remimber 1 thing central is a starter co. a lot of people have go into this co. with great expetations only to be fooled by low miles a bad dispatcher or a truck that is broke more than on the road costing you money. i know i have been there. just remember.29 cents a mile is not a lot of money after taxes , ins ded, over idle charges, tuition payback, the performance fee 200 dollars if not mistaken. the cost of load locks and trailer king pin locks that will be coming out of your first 6 to 8 checks
    so there is not a whole lot left. just go into it with open eyes because i dont want to be the one who says i told so. good luck everyone

7. NewOTRCareer1

NewOTRCareer1 Bobtail Member

Thanks for the great posts and insight everyone. I really appreciate your detailed and informative posts techiekate29. I start school on the 8/24 and I had been getting pretty anxious about what to actually expect. Your info helped put my mind at ease a little. I really appreciate your positive attitude and comments! It seems you can find a wealth of negative information and complaining on any trucking company, but to find accurate and informative has been difficult. Finding positive comments is even more difficult. I do not at all mean to imply that the negative comments are not legitimate or valid, and I have most definitely taken them into consideration in making this career change decision. I am just glad to find some information that I found directly relative to what I am headed into in the next few weeks. I am looking forward to the school and the new opportunity. I hope I get to meet some of you in WVC soon.

8. 1badz28

1badz28 Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2008
    savannah georgia
    just remimber that sometimes comments my sound negative but in actuality they are the cold hard truth and its no different wheateror not its central or any other trucking co. all these co. see is dollar signs and not you the employee is this true for EVERY co. NO.... but in centrals case well ill let you decide. just remimber EYES WIDE OPEN ........ AND HOPEFULLY YOUR EXPERIANCE WILL BE A GOOD ONE......... I DID SAY HOPEFULLY DIDNT I..

jess-juju and utahhomesick Thank this.
  9. NewOTRCareer1

NewOTRCareer1 Bobtail Member

Thanks 1badz28. I did not mean to imply that your posts or any others were not meaningful and helpful. I have found you the information you and others have shared just as helpful and relevant as techiekate29's posts about the school process. I appreciate your input and warnings of how Central or any other company can treat their drivers. Because of your information I don't feel I am going into this with my eyes closed and I appreciate your honesty about the 'Real World' experience of trucking. I may be new to the trucking industry, but I'm far from new. I appreciate all the insight so I can know what to look for and at least try to reduce the negative impact of what the company will try to pull on this old fart.

10. Oscar

Oscar Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Andice, TX
    Hey Kate,

Just wanted to let you know Yogi and I made it through despite the whole class getting some kind of flu bug. We are sitting through orientation now just waiting to get into the real world now. To those coming to school soon, get your states cdl manual and start reading it now, it will be a whole lot easier when it comes to the test. Listen to the instructors, if you do exactly as they say that truck will go right where you want it to go. Good Luck

11. Yogi4

Yogi4 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Carmichaels, Pa
    Oscar sucks... he gave me the flu. The #######. :biggrin_25510: . Nah he's actually a nice guy.... even though he made me sick. Even the next class is getting sick. Might wanna bring some lysol when you come to the hotel. Seems like it's stemming from here.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.