Weekly budget question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by philv, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    YOU don't budget running a truck. You really can't.

You have three different type of costs, two are fixed costs, one is reoccurring and the other is annual. then you have the killer - variable costs, that is fuel and things like tolls.

Your revenue isn't fixed, it will also be variable but bills have to be paid and this is where people get into trouble, they ignore the needs of the bills and ignore maintenance to pay themselves.

Speaking of maintenance, don't assume you are going to be able to fix a truck somewhere you're stuck at, even though you are a mechanic. Get used to the idea of paying someone and pay them.

I would save at least three months of down time, not a month.

AND pay yourself LAST, not first.

ramblingman and rollin coal Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Where do you live that you can't find a truck tech job.Around my area every truck shop from yellow freight to dealerships to small shops are looking for mechanics anywhere from $27 to 35 am hour.

4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah really good techs are in high demand everywhere. It's a skill-set and profession fewer and fewer get into with every passing year but the demands on existing techs never stop. In Atlanta MHC Kenworth charges $155 an hour shop rate and are covered up with 3 weeks worth of work orders. You go into any dealer shop in the country and it's the same story. And they charge $155 not because they are the best and provide first class service, but because they CAN...

77fib77, dunchues and ramblingman Thank this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    You would eventually land a good job. Unless it trucking that allures you. Sometimes, when I am tired of the road, I wish I had good mechanical skills and own a reputable shop here in Chicago. They have busier schedule than obstetricians here.

6. H.E.A.R.T.

H.E.A.R.T. Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2016
    With your diesel Tec experience (depending on the amount of practical knowledge you retained) will cut down on your repair bills as well as labor on most minor repairs, If you carry tools with you, you can just pick up the parts swap them and be on your merry way. My Husband and I are O/O and save Thousands of $$'s and down time by doing our own repairs. Of corse the biggies only can be preformed in a shop, but a good head for the mechanics of your truck can keep some of these companies honest. So kudos to you, I would say that as much money as you can handle, to put aside as reserves the better, and if on a weekly basis you don't spend all the $ earmarked for expenses add that to your cushion, and in a year you will be close to your goal. The best of luck to you..And Happy New Year

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.