Weight Loss:Body Mass Index Calculator

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Baack, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Weatherbug

Weatherbug Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2009
    land of confusion
    BMI calculators are just so much snake oil: at best meaningless because as it has been pointed out it does not take into consideration muscle mass. There are only two ways to get an accurate BMI and one is by measuring displacement in a tank of water and uses an electrode placed on wrist and ankle. (electricity passes at different rates through muscle and fat) I used to work at the "Y" and that was the method we used. It was pretty good.

Height/weight ratios really don't have any basis in reality.

and 1 guest Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Personally i've found that not eating alot is the best way to lose weight but heres a simple tip that alot of people aren't awhere of is at night your body shuts down so it don't burn the same amount of energy in sleep mode if you cut back big time on your evening meal and load up on your breakfast or lunch mid day meal you will find you will start to lose weigth or not put on the weight in the first place just a tip that could save you heaps friends.

regards
    aussiejosh

Baack and JustSonny Thank this.
  4. gixxer32404

gixxer32404 Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Florida
  5. LoneWolf14

LoneWolf14 Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Franklin,NC
    Lol they consider 136-183 normal weight for a person 6'4! YEAH! I would be happy at 250-300

6. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    "NORMAL" if you are from Ethiopia! !!!

Captain Canuck Thanks this.
  7. Swaps

Swaps Heavy Load Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Minnesota
    yeah, BMI is complete BS.
    For a 5'9" male, the "normal" range is 125 to 165.

I'm sorry, but no. 5'9" 125lbs?
    That's UNDERweight! hell, 165 is still too skinny.

I have no problem saying I'm a big guy, but these charts are so full of crap.

8. Swaps

Swaps Heavy Load Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Minnesota

Exactly, have a BIG breakfast, and have smaller meals as the day winds down. And supper should just be a snack so that you're stomach isn't growling loud enough to wake you up. Now, that's completely backwards from what most of us were raised as. Small breakfast, bowl of cereal, apple, glass of OJ. Then supper is steak, potatos, corn, soda/beer etc.

Just by changing the size of your meals around, you can start to lose a lot of weight.

9. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    im 5'9 230 lbs

some is fat some is muscle...i dont work out alot anymore and have gained weight since high school

high school (3 years ago) i was 5'9 246 pounds size 34 waist bench pressed 325

according to this i was severely obese

10. Swaps

Swaps Heavy Load Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Minnesota
    a friend of mine has 2 brothers who compete in power lifting.

Yeah, they're obese according to the BMI...
    big shoulders, solid core, 6 packs, huge thighs.

yeah, obese...

11. maxwelltie

maxwelltie Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Brookings, OR
    I think you guys are missing the point. I agree the numbers are for some other parallel universe where everyone looks like a Biafran. However, the facts are these ARE he numbers. We need to prepare for what will be.
    I have managed to get my weight down to the maximum 'overweight' class (30) and out of the 'obese' numbers. I don't have to worry about some skinny clerk who has never had a weight problem in their life and has only driven a desk, come tell me I can't do what I've been doing for nearly 40 years because of an index.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.