Weird drive axle weight situation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdm5jdm5, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Bs..heavy loads beat the crap out of your brakes,shocks,suspension,tires,fuel...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I presume your pulling a 53, you need to load your trailer nose light. I would bet the state scales that agree 35100 are probably correct. single double single the nose on heaver loads.

Steel Dragon and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    And if you're a company driver, what difference does that make? It isn't YOUR truck, so it doesn't cost YOU a darn thing. And if it IS your truck and you're at a good company, they are being paid well for that heavy load, which means you are being paid well for that heavy load to compensate for those extra expenses...unless of course you were dumb enough to sign your truck on somewhere on a "per mile" rate...but then that wouldn't be the case with a good company.

5. Steel Dragon

Nov 23, 2015
    The difference is the heavy load is more dangerous to drive.Why risk your life and the life of others on the road for some bottled water.
    There is no need to load a truck to the max just to save a few dollars.
    You guys like those max loads..go right ahead,I like my light loads...:biggrin_25522:

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    How are heavy loads "more dangerous" to drive? If the truck is spec'd to handle it, it is actually SAFER to be 80,000# than to be empty...or did you forget that because the brake system is designed to handle the weights it actually performs better? More likely to lock up (or have the ABS releasing the brakes for you and dumping your air) when you're empty creating longer stopping distances...IF your truck has been properly maintained. Of course if your wheel seals are leaking and the brakes are glazed over, you've got brakes out of adjustment, and leaking chambers and air lines, well then sure...tough to stop a heavy truck in those circumstances...but if everything is working as it should, it isn't "unsafe" to run 80,000#.

spyder7723, Steel Dragon and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Running in the temp controlled sector, I'll take a 44k Lb load over a 15k Lb load any time, especially in winter time. Nobody would be able to afford to go grocery shopping if they load according to the @Steel Dragon business model.

Do you seriously want that many more trucks on the road? That's somehow going to be "safer"?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I also prefer to run heavy, my loads average 26.5 tons

Truck rides and handles best when load to 80k.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    To the OP if you read this - CALL CAT.

Tell them you got a ticket(s) and where, explain to them nothing other than you checked at THEIR scales and were alright then got to the scales and ticketed for being overweight. Tell them you fueled up before you went to their scales.

Don't get into the murky waters about brakes, about fifth wheel or anything else unless specifically asked.

They will help you with the ticket in court, and pretty successful in doing so.

We have this issue with Arizona and in Michigan a while back and they were very good in helping out.

10. Steel Dragon

Nov 23, 2015
    I get paid the same whether the load is 4500 or 45,000.
    I like being able to climb grades at 65 and downgrades at 75.
    Doing 35 mph up grades fully loaded sucks,and rolling downgrades at 75 fully loaded is asking for an accident.
    80,000 is not a safe weight..don't care what the truck specs say.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    :rolleyes:

not4hire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.