Wel Companies Orientation 09/24/2012

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Jbkrash, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Bktrkrwannabe

Bktrkrwannabe Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2012
    McHenry County
    Go babeeeee go! Very excited for us! We're that much closer! 2-1/2 more weeks and I will be even more nervous than I ever have been! :biggrin_2551:

mamamullins Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mamamullins

mamamullins Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Ingalls, IN
    Are you almost done with CDL school? I am glad that things worked out for the both of you. :yes2557::yes2557::yes2557:

4. Bktrkrwannabe

Aug 26, 2012
    McHenry County
    No, I start school on the 15th!

mamamullins Thanks this.
  5. GTR SILVER

GTR SILVER Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2009
    jersey city,nj
    bump.......................

6. Jbkrash

Jbkrash Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Mchenry County Illinois
    Hello folks! Sorry I left you all hanging for a couple days. Its been crazy! I have not had time until now to sit at a computer since Wednesday. Well all in all Orientation was an experiance to say the least. I think Wel could do alot better with some good time management. Every day we had lots of down time doing nothing smoking ciggies and shooting the poop. Thursday we had a tour of the main terminal in Deppere Wisc/ Green Bay. We met with our driver managers (dispatchers), a couple of classes then the hole class of 14 headed to the TWIC office to apply for our TWIC cards. These cards will be used as our company ID's basically. 14 people walked into the TWIC affice around 1:00 and the last person walked out at 5:30 this TWIC office had only 1 person to help our group. A long afternoon of doing nothing! We recieved our truck assignments and I recieved my first load out my truck is a '07 Freight Shaker. I feel kind of shell shocked with what was throwen at us in 4 days and then boom your on your own. My load went to Joliet IL my home terminal where I will run regional. I have been off since I arrived Friday morning at 6:00 am, it was my Birthday Friday. I recieved load information that I have to take out today to arrive in Springfield Ohio with enough time to give me 10 hours off prior to my first appointment at 6 am, there are 6 stops I will make with this load in Ohio. With all the peopelnet and billing and driver manager pay etc etc. I feel like I learned nothing last week. Although my driver manager said to call her any time she will help me with any questions I have. I also have a huge 3 ring binder that is the company bible that I can look through to help with any questions. So to sumerise my experiance with Wel Company to date is, cram 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag and your done. Everyone in the company is very freindly and helpful. I did not meet one person so far who had anything to say bad about the company! For my first OTR job in over 6 years I have to say so far if your looking to join Wel Companies, Do It! I'm sure I will get all the company stuff in time. I'm sure I will make some mistakes along the way, but I feel I will have alot of help along the way! Anyways time for me to get my stuff together and head out the door in few hours to Ohio! Sorry if I rambled on a bit here I had to get alot in! If you have any questions at all ask here or give me a PM. I will try and update this thread as I have time! Stay Safe out there everyone and have a great week!! :biggrin_255:

mamamullins and Bktrkrwannabe Thank this.
  7. Bktrkrwannabe

Aug 26, 2012
    McHenry County
    I can't wait to hear how your first week goes! Safe travels sweetie!

8. mamamullins

May 4, 2011
    Ingalls, IN
    I know it is alot. My husband is near his home town Walbridge, OH taking his 10. He has to be in PA on Monday, and then they will get him a run home. It will be 2 1/2 weeks since I have seen him, and I am missing him very badly. Glad to hear that everything went well with orientation, and you have your truck. Have a good week.

9. Jbkrash

Sep 5, 2012
    Mchenry County Illinois
    Hello everyone, its been a while since my last update so I figured I would share my last week and a half with Wel Co.! Things have been interesting. Now that I have been here this long I'm learning the peoplenet and other things as I go along. I'm not very happy with the miles. last week I barely made 1k and the way things are going this week I'm not sure I'll even get that. The way things are going I may have to rethink this company? Are any others out there having this problem with Wel? I know i'm regional, but they said 2k plus when I hired on? This week I took a load out of Joliet with 4 drops on it. First drop was a midnight del time in Nicholasville Ky. I arrived there just fine ntext del. was a 5 am in Winchester. So I had 3 hours off between these 2 points. Then to take my 10 off, well 12.5 off cause my next del was in London Ky at 7:45! My 4th del was in London at 3 am. So all that said I have been sitting way more then moving. Its hard to keep any sleep schedule with all this. Anyways I received my next task and that is to pu a full trailer in Anderson In. at 6 am that's 15 hours from now with a 4 am del date on the 11th. WTF I'm getting more sleep with this job then I was getting when I was unemployed!! Is this going to be normal for this company? Oh btw my Dm made me go over hours of service last week and I got pulled into a scale the day after and was given a warning for the hours over! Will I get points off for that warning? Its been a learning experience I must say! I finnaly got WiFi in my truck thats another reason I have not logged in in a while. Anyways let me know what you folks think about this? I hope everyone is having a safe week!

10. mamamullins

May 4, 2011
    Ingalls, IN
    Wow...less then a 1000 miles a week? Did you go to Nestle to pick up today? You were in my neck of the woods...as a matter of fact the hubby finally got to come home for 3 days after being out for 3 weeks straight with no 34. I don't see how that was possible, because he was well over 70 hours, but kept gaining hours back everyday. He got pulled into the scales too, but he passed a level 3 inspection. I don't know how since he was well over HOS and didn't take a 34. He had to go to Nestle and pick up this afternoon, and the load wasn't ready, so he called me to come pick him up. I dropped him off a while ago, so that he could pick his load up that was finally ready. He got there at 12:00 and the load wasn't ready until about 6pm. He said he had seen another WEL driver at the pilot truck stop in Lapel, and it looked like there was a mechanic looking at the truck. Didn't know if it was you, but it was about 10-11am.

I finally talked with him about this L/p deal because they forgot about him, but we both agree that it is to risky to take that chance right now. So we agreed to wait and see how my disability court case comes out in a few weeks. It has been extremely hard on me to have him gone for that long, especially when my Fibromyalgia is in full force. We are going to try and make it work, but if we can't we can't.

Can you talk to your DM about the miles you have been getting? Maybe that will make a difference for you. I hope things get better for you...keep in touch and let us know.

11. Jbkrash

Sep 5, 2012
    Mchenry County Illinois
    Hello all! Hey Mama yes I was at Nestle that day and I also was at the pilot, but that was not me broke down. I saw that broke down driver also, didn't stop to talk I was in a hurry. I think I pulled out of there around 9:00. I took that load from Nestle to Walmart in Sterling Il. After I left there I broke down( had a starter issue) a service came out got me started so they sent me up to Green Bay to get that fixed on Friday. Well they couldn't get the truck in the shop on Friday and I had to be home for a wedding today Sunday. So since my truck was still able to start they gave me a load back to Joliet. I must say this week has been pretty good I have been home and slept in my own bed more this last week then in the truck. While I was in GB I was able to talk to my DM and safety and payroll and a few others I needed to talk to so it wasn't a wasted trip. Patti my Dm says on Monday to call her after 8:00 and she will give me another run up there to get my truck fixed and she will see what she can do to give me more miles. My wife starts school tomorrow and she will be done with school in 4 weeks. She is going to be talking to a few recruiters from other companies while she is there. If she can find something better for us there we may change over. If not we will stick it out with Wel for 6 months so she can get experience then we will move on to somewhere else if needed. Its all about the $$ for the short miles I've been getting my checks are pretty ok the last 2 were 700+ gross. We need better then ok though with my wife starting school. She will not get a paycheck for almost 2 months. Everyone except Mama must have lost interest in this thread? I was looking for some more insight about Wel from others? Anyways I talked with a Driver from Hirschbach! He really likes it their 90% of their fleet is Lease Purchase. If your not happy with wel Mama look into them if you would like ?:) Anyways time to get ready to watch my favorite niece to walk down the isle! I hope everyone has a great week I'll be in touch later this week!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.