Wel Companies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by YoungMotherTrucker, Jul 11, 2015.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

One post and the guy disappears since July 2015 but he wants to sound like he knows what he's talking about. He doesn't. On either the company side or the lease side.

One shouldn't lease until one knows the business cycles in freight - and yes, even refrigerated freight has cycles - and the company. More importantly, nobody should lease without understanding that you are a businessman who happens to drive a truck. Anything else is a quick path to failure, but many rookies make the mistake of seeing only the big numbers and turning their brains off at that point. It's just like the multimillion-dollar lottery winners who go broke very quickly...they stop thinking.

Finally, in my time back, I have averaged more than 2,800 miles per week and that's without chasing miles or making a fuss...during the normally slow-freight period after Christmas. His "Company drivers really only get about 600 miles a week and that's the truth" isn't the truth at all.

sgt50 and DriverMike1984 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    Any current info on WEL? They are awful eager to have me. I know I'm a potential hire that has rare traits. But I just want to see what the scuttle-butt is lately.

4. DenaliDad

What do you want to know? I drive for them.

5. DenaliDad

They're hiring about 10 new drivers each week and are getting new trucks and trailers on a regular basis. They haven't given me a new one yet but they will, I'm sure. I'm driving a 2014 Pete with about 360K miles on it, so it's due to be out into the lease fleet. But the new guys are getting the new trucks, so you would be in luck there, I guess.

6. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    I'll take any info you care to share. I am still a rookie, but consider myself to be a good driver. And with the right company, we will make good money. I don't care for BS or empty promises. And I have only spoken with Jody, the recruiter. So, at your convenience, how are the trucks equipped? Transmissions? 100% no touch freight? How is the insurance? Do they give you any hassle about getting home? I'll stop here and let you catch up. Once again, at your convenience. And, thank you in advance for your time!

7. DenaliDad

Most of out trucks are 10-speed manuals, though there are some autos out there. We only use KW's and Petes. We are mostly drop/hook and 100% no-touch unless you want to--I never did and never will.

Since I'm retired and have health and life insurance through my former employer and Medicare, I don't know anything about the insurance.

I've never had any trouble getting home, but I only go home every 6-8 weeks or so. Like every other company, you get one day home for every week out up to 4 days; you work with your DM, your driver manager, for hometime days and length.

As a self-described "rookie," I'll tell you what I tell everybody. Stick with it for 12 full mo the. It's a very tough industry and you will be confronted with all kinds of unhappy people, everywhere. Drivers, shipping and receiving clerks, even truck stop employees. Don't spend too much time in driver lounges griping about how bad you have it; no matter what they say, we all have it the same. WEL has treated me better than any of the other companies I've worked for and I'm very happy with their equipment and pay.

Hone your skills a bit each day. Learn how the company and industry work. Stay 12 months and you will be much more valuable to other employers. For me, like a salmon swimming upstream back to the place of its birth, I have returned to where I started. I have no plans - or desire - to make another move.

And SLOW DOWN. In everything you do. Moving forward, backing up, making decisions...everything.

And smile. Very few drives do and it shows. But you get to see different parts of the country, different sun rises and sunsets and meet new people each day. Why wouldn't you smile?

8. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    Bless you, sir. You just covered a lot of what I tell the newbies every day at school. That makes me feel great that I can find someone with the same views on trucking. Yes, I am a rookie. I drove 9 months and about 250k miles before I resigned. That was back in 2006 to 2007. I don't think I will qualify as a "pro" until I get a full year under my belt.

How is the mileage? Are there any drops or pick-ups that are restrictive to passengers?

9. DenaliDad

I get miles as needed; I'm retired with a pension and on Social Security, so I have different income requirements than others, but I have no complaints. I think it's as much about the relationship you have with your DM and the availability of freight to the company, really. We've been in a slow period but it will pick up. And being reefer helps; people want to eat what we transport no matter what time of year or the state of the economy.

As for carrying passengers, I know there are restrictions, Both at WEL and a shipper/receiver, but since I don't carry anyone I don't know the specifics. I do know there are many places a passenger or a pet has to stay in the truck at all times, but I think it's facility-specific.

KD5AXG Thanks this.
  10. JustNva

JustNva Light Load Member

May 9, 2014
    Virginia
    Any information on their training process? How long overall, team during training, orientation locations, any home time during training?

11. DenaliDad

Training for new drivers (those right out of school with no OTR experience) is 4 weeks with a trainer. You won't team until the last week or so, if you even do then. They want you to be trained, not just making the trainer money, but if you're doing well enough, you can get a taste of it.

What happens during training is really between you and your trainer. I would offer this: you're a new driver and a new employee. There is much to learn and the best way to learn is through continuity; if you start taking breaks before your training is done, you will lose that continuity and will likely be assigned another 4-week trainer. It's not worth it, so suck it up and pay attention.

Besides, starting off asking for time off before you've finished training isn't a good way to impress your new employer. After you test out at the end and are assigned a truck, you will be routed home to set your truck up. That will be your first hometime.

All orientation is done at the training building in DePere.

chi-town joe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.