Well, I got TMC out of my system real quick...

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by MericanMade, Sep 3, 2019.

1. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    The building trades are screaming for help around here
    A 5th year pipefitter is 50 an hr
    Carpenters and electricians are mid to upper 40s an hr.
    In 08' my $ 34 hr job went away and never came back, it was a rough time and got me back in a truck after 18 or so yrs. As a trim carpenter

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    It depends on the job. If I install for others, it's more like $45/hr, although I get paid by the job, not hourly. If I install my own kitchen in a remodel--which pays better than new construction--I make $75/hr (including my profit on the cabinets) for a 40 hour week. The most I've made is $450 in two hours installing a few vanities that I also sold. That was rare because they were very quick and simple installs.

Here's the rub. The work isn't steady. I've got to make that kind of money to tide me over when my phone doesn't ring for a couple of months and my two go-to-when-slow companies are also slow. The money starts evaporating, and I go into panic mode. This happens at least once per year and has for the last 25 years. Proverbial "feast or famine."

I ran the numbers on this last job I installed for another company. I'm being paid less than what I paid my own installers 15 years ago, which was a "per piece" price of $15. I was paid about $14.28 per piece. I currently charge my remodel customers $30 or $35 per piece, which is what I judge my skills to be worth.

That is depressing in a way. It's still better than sitting around with nothing to do, but the trend in the skilled trades is downward. Employees who are plumbers, electricians, and HVAC techs make about $15/hour around here, and probably with no benefits whatsoever.

I ask myself this: Is the trucker the tortoise and the cabinet guy the hare, and does the tortoise win the race?

4. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Maybe I need to switch to finish carpentry. A contractor friend of mine offered me a $13,000 trim job on an expensive house, and he said I could probably get it done in a month. I had to pass on it because two other customers with cabinets on the ground didn't get their crap done in time for me to get finished by his start date. That really hurt!

5. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Why not? the girls at the strip club do it

6. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    I think part of your problem is where you’re located. Florida is notorious for low wages ( comparative to the North East ) . I know many
    Northerners who have gone there and tried to live the dream of living in a nice year round climate and start their own business or get a job down there and finding out they’ll be working for a lot less. Unless they were somewhat wealthy , or retired with a pension everyone I know who moved to Florida to earn a living in a trade ,start a service business or get a job there , didn’t last a year or two because of the low priced competition or low wages . Don’t get me
    Wrong when I’m in the middle of a Northeast blizzard , i sometimes think how nice it would be to be on a beach in Florida ! Lol .
    I understand the instability of owning your own business and the ups and downs of your income , I’ve owned other businesses too and that aspect of it is tough. Being over the road living out of a little box behind your seat making
    Less than minimum wage when you factor in all the time you’ll be in that truck working for an out for like TMC will get old real fast when your used to being home everyday with your family and running your own business. What your trying to leave is what many OTR company drivers would kill for. If you’ve made up your mind to drive a truck to stabilize your income and do something a little easier on your body, why not a local job driving tanker or something similar and keep your business as a side hustle
    On the weekends and when you can fit it in.
    Just a thought. I’ve been in and out of trucking
    For over 33 years (I just turned 55). In that time I’ve owned multiple businesses outside of trucking and still buy and sell equipment , vehicles , real estate etc. Honestly I’ve come to almost hate trucking with the crazy amount of DOT enforcement, electronic logs , cut throat competion ( it’s easy to get into , but not easy to do it well) . The constant climb in operating costs and stagnant or down ward push in rates and income is never ending.
    It’s a classic case of the grass is greener etc.
    I would think twice about leaving what you have to go over the road. I would modify what you do to add more stability in your income and maybe add more services ( cabinet work is nice , but it’s a luxury item , they don’t need nicer cabinets , they want them , times get tight they stop buying cabinets, but if their roof is bad they will find a way to put a roof on .lol! )

Anyway , best of luck in your journey , and a skilled craftsman in any trade will always be in demand if he positions himself correctly.

7. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    You bring up some good points. Last week I was hating it because it was 108F "feels like" inside a new construction house installing for another company making less than what I paid my installers 15 years ago. This week I'm doing a remodel for a nice old Vietnam veteran and his wife in air conditioning while they're offering me bottled water and Firehouse subs. Big remodel and the man has money. I'll be clearing about $5000 for a week's work (they bought expensive custom cabinets from me).

I have been considering Groendyke tankers because they will take top grads from driver school, and I'd be home daily (although I think they work 14 hours per day which is about twice my normal workday). Also looking at LTL or local food delivery. I've wondered if I could hook up with a company that would let me drive a dump truck part time. I'd love to do that during the hot summer months (June-Sept) provided the truck had a/c. I'd get my year of experience with Melton--just to fulfill a bucket list item--then re-evaluate.

Thanks for your thoughtful input.

8. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    Your Welcome ... I think your on the right path , it just needs some adjusting. Forget food service delivery. It’s brutal Slave work. Very hard on your body. I did it for years as a company driver for Sysco and as an owner operator in the 90’s. It pays well but it’s not worth it , especially at our age. Trust me it’s blood money. Dump truck or Dump trailer work with decent equipment is gravy work if it pays ok. Tanker usually pays ok especially if you have hazmat. There’s also local car hauling gigs
    Etc. Running otr is not what many make it out to be. It might seem fun at first traveling around, but it’s brutal on family life and parking overnight has become ridiculous with ELD’s . Many truck stops and rest areas get filled up fast and you’re living out of a little box behind your seat. You won’t be living in your home in Florida anymore , you’ll be living in that truck and get to visit your family and home when the
    Company “allows” you home time on the weekends. That will grow old fast , especially after working for yourself and being home with your family every night..... Good Luck!!

MACK E-6, FoolsErrand and MericanMade Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.