Well, I got too excited

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by DouletTheDriver, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Slay

Slay Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2015
    I have not been on the blog for awhile. But I see it is the same BS. You all are taking cheap freight and then trying to justify it. I see this, "I took it to get to a better lane". Well now there are no better lanes because the broker has learned to offer the low rate and some #### fool will take because they are bouncing to a better rate some where. You all are chasing the golden rate. However the golden rates are getting harder to find. I watch freight for less then a dollar a mile go off the board so fast it is unbelievable.

Apparently most you do not run a spreadsheet. You take a load to get to the better lane. So you move the freight and lose money on the load because it pays for the fuel. Now the broker knows to offer the cheap freight and some dumb*ss will take it. So now he offers it for less tomorrow and guess what happens? Here comes another guy and he moves it for less then fuel cost. "I got to get to a better lane." Now you all are seeing there is no better lane.

I watch the freight go into Miami. It was a one time $3-4 per mile. The freight out was not there. So everyone took "fuel money" loads to get out of Miami. Now people are deadheading out of Miami to Orlando or Tampa to get "fuel money loads" to the north.The "fuel money loads" are now so cheap that they do not pay for the fuel, but people keep taking them. "It's better than nothing" Well it is not!!!! Now the customer has learned to lower all his freight rates because somebody will move it for fuel money.

Just because your wheels are turning does not mean you are making money. LOOK AT YOUR SPREADSHEETS / Costs to run will tell you how much you need to get to make money. Some days you can make more money by just sitting still.

#### you all that haul the cheap freight. "Something is better than nothing," thinking is going to put us all out of business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DouletTheDriver

DouletTheDriver Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Katy, TX (Houston)
    Update: Non-cheap freight is hard to grab.

Called a broker today on a 250 mile load out of Houston. She says the rate is $350. I ask “any negotiating with that?”. She responds with a sly voice “oh, it’ll move for that ”. ####, kinda sexy though, haha!

I’m pretty adamant after my first mistake about not taking cheap. And I’ve spent countless days unhooking and driving back home with nothing to show for my 30 phone calls that turned to dust.

But these brokers will try their hardest not to pay!

Called TMC on 16k load, 257/miles Houston-Rockwall, TX. Broker lady says $400. I say “nah, $500”. She says, $450 max. We hang up.
    About 3 hours later I get a call back from her asking if I’m still interested. I say, “yeah but not for $450”. She asks, “how much did you say you wanted?”.
    I say $550. She’s mouths too loud “What!”. So I ramble “oh yeah, that’s 16klbs, and it’s gonna take all day to get outta Houston and into Dallas.” We hang up again.
    10 minutes later she calls back. Just checking to see if you’re still interested, we’re approved for $550.

I think she actually does remember that I started with $500

4. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Way to go !! We now give you the "ATTA BOY" award. Just takes a little practice .

Lite bug and DouletTheDriver Thank this.
  5. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019

Nice! Funny how it works out that way, they need the #### moved, just pay what it’s worth.

TexMountain and DouletTheDriver Thank this.
  6. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    There you go!!!

DouletTheDriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.