Werner Enterprises, Inc. - Omaha, Ne.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by lj, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Clutch62810

Clutch62810 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Beautiful Buffalo N.Y.
    A drop yrd ok I'll give you that but if you need to go to a terminal I'll take Indi. Odds are no Safety lane chk, you run in get what you need and get out, because of Indi. being listed as a terminal same as Elpaso TX. it is regestered that you've been to a terminal that month and I got 90% of my service at a Petro or TA while I'm there I have them send a safety check report AKA safety lane by proxi. i went 6 monts b4 somebody questioned when I was last at a terminal safety lane.
    Safety warning, if you get to elpasso TX, term. have something you can throw near tires a pet even a walking stick. Rattle snakes have been found on the terminal grounds, if you hear rattling it may already be too late.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Clutch62810

Oct 10, 2010
    Beautiful Buffalo N.Y.
    Yo Dookie, have you ever heard of Right to work laws?
    You have the right to work in what we have to offer or you don't have to work. that is why they say all Labor disputes are by Nebraska laws. and if you call them out on thier wrong doing they will send you to the opposite coast then terminate you. (I Know I got a Come into Phoenix terminal 4 a new trk, yea Happy Holidays Your Terminated) I live in New York Now I questioned legality of the termination AZ said you have the right to work or not. and now WEENER black listed Me. I questioned the Perdiem and Pay rate being lowered. I figured if I can get this into a state like NY I could probly proove they owe me 1,500 - 5,000 $. in unpaied wages + lay over & reimbusements never paid. I was 1 of those fools who recruted Student drivers never got my Bonus for those who signed on.:biggrin_2559:, The Rules will Change. Even chuck Schumer the lib Sen. of NY will laugh at that. You may have a chance in CA if anyplace, Good Luck.

4. Clutch62810

Oct 10, 2010
    Beautiful Buffalo N.Y.
    Ok Clarence L. Werner Did That But You Forget, He is Nolonger in Charge his Neph, and Brats are incherge, I will still Give the Respect to C.L. Werner but to those he left incharge Are stupid Fools, I wonder if C.L. will come out of retirement again to save the company or let those fools burry it this time. he is no saint but he knows what it is to drive those fools incharge now wever turned 1 Mile in a rig. lets not get sidetracked it is the company as it is written today. and to that ***sniffer who says all if good He Got to close Should pull his head out and see where he's been.

5. capfiremedic

capfiremedic Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Bay St. Louis, MS
    Regarding El Paso, been there... Hope I NEVER go back. My complaint with Indi is that they overload the place. It's designed for 80 trailers, but they'll do their damnedest to stuff as many as they can get away with in there. I went there to do a split a month ago, and they guard told me that they had 124 trailers onsite, and there was no room for another.

As far as Mr. Craig, I've heard nothing but good about the man himself. However, the organization seems to only care about the almighty dollar these days. With the present leadership, the driver seems to be a "necessary evil" rather than a valued employee. From what I understand, that started to be a pervasive attitude there years ago, until either Mr. Craig stepped back in, or someone in the hierarchy realized that the person with his/her butt in the seat makes or breaks the outfit and the pendulum started to swing back to the "good" side. I must be here while it's apexing on the bad. I hope that he's got the fortitude to come back and repair the damage that his present leadership crew has done, and I wish him all the best.

I'm supposed to be on home time Monday. I scheduled it almost 3 weeks ago. I'm sitting cooling my heels on the Kentucky/Tennessee line for a delivery on Tuesday! Been here since FRIDAY NIGHT! That's almost 4 days without mile 1... I've yet to get home anywhere near on time, generally 2 to 3 days late.

Say what you will about that, but there is life outside of the tractor cab...

I run 3 to 8 weeks steady, and rarely see a paycheck over $400. My rate is basically a 20 year old cpm. Apparently this is the norm for a "newbie". It's OK for a 21 year old without bills and no home, but supporting a home and family? Out of the question.

I love the job, and would like to stay in the profession, but if this is all there is, then I wasted $5000 in training.

I have an offer from a flatbed company that is willing to start me out at a 55% cpm increase from Werner, and from what I've received in feedback from their present drivers, really fulfills their promises to the drivers. They're listed on a thread here, but after reading most of the back-and-forth butt-biting from those that left either dissatisfied, totally blameless, confused or just plain not diving a care, I decided to do what the recruiter told me to... "Don't take my word for it, ask our drivers".

Time will tell as to what happens.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  6. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    A hearty Welcome to TTR Cap!
    Excellent post.
    I narrowed it down to one point of interest (in bold letters) to address, however I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't read Cap's post in it's entirety, do so.

It sounds like Mr. Craig has a conscience.
    I assume Mr. Craig also has a desire to remain in business.
    The present economy has created desperation for many companies.
    Big truck truckin' companies are among those feelin' desperate.
    But there's only so much freight to ship to provide revenue necessary to keep their doors open, --- as the doors of dependable shippers are locked.
    The usual methods for increasing revenue aren't as effective as they were in the past necessitating some kind of change(s).
    Witness the results of the answer as demonstrated by the change in operations. Changes that capitalize on the reverse situation.

From a driver shortage to an over-flowin' application bin submitted by wannaBees, many more out of desperation than any real desire to be Big truck truck drivers. And they're willin' to pay to learn a lesson.
    Nothin' 'sept nothin' is free.
    WannaBees either pay out-of-pocket, then run cheap freight cheaply for the trainin' company, = profit and savings.
    Win/Win for the trainin' company.
    Not necessarily so for the wannaBee.

In order for the training profits to continue, trainin' companies depend on a high turnover rate. That must save a bundle on ways to increase driver retention. If the graduated newBees were treated well, they'd tend to remain, and thereby fill a seat as they advance up the pay scale. Trainin' companies depend on empty seats for their graduates to fill, ........ for a while, --- not too long though.

It's hard to imagine how companies go from seek and employ and retain drivers, to hook-'em, chew 'em up an' spit 'em out, --- plenty more where they came from attitude. It's equally hard (for me) to imagine how a company leader can go from treatin' drivers decently to taking advantage of their vulnerability. If given the choices of lockin' the company doors, or dealin' the cards that fall where they may in an under-handed way, it may require someone else to fulfill the necessity of henchman/men/woman/women to git-er-dun. Those who will push every and any limit necessary to achieve their goal. When the economy picks up again, the hench-people will either have to change their tactics or seek employment elsewhere.

Right now, the number one most important goal is to remain in business until things get better. No doubt reputations will be established until then. Bad reputations can be lived down with time and necessary changes. Then, those who refuse to consider bad reputations a hindrance just might discover a good gig, --- after the changes are made.
    Time will tell.
    Unfortunately those desperate for a paycheck don't have the luxury of waitin' 'till the tide turns.
    It ain't right.
    But it is the way it is.
    Beware.

7. capfiremedic

Jan 8, 2012
    Bay St. Louis, MS
    All true...

But, aftershock, there's one more faction making big bucks off the backs... Or butts of wannabe's as well.

Finance companies.

Case in point. I went out of pocket for $4995 for my training. Plus license issue. Those that weren't able to fork over the bucks up front went through a finaceing agency (I don't know which one) that, in the end, if the "loan" goes full term, will wind up costing them $8500.

And since "training reimbursement" runs about $100 per month, with a 5 grand cap... Well, they'll never recoup the initial investment. Is it a racket? Well... I did get my CDL out of it, as advertised... And at least I'm not on the hook for an extra 35 hundred bucks. But Ido have to wonder if the Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob-Pawpaw log trucking school could have done the same thing. For less money.

Bottom line, to me is that one is going to go where one is treated fairly, compensated fairly and at least somewhat appreciated.

Yet in today's "corporate" society, I wonder if someplace like that still exists. It would seem to me, not being a "businessman" that having a solid cadre of happy, dedicated people and good equipment would be the way to go in the long run, instead of grabbing every cent when it's flashed and putting a death grip on it.

Maybe that's a dinosaur mentality, but I still think it's a better recipe for success.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  8. MS Lady Trucker

MS Lady Trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Kosciusko, MS
    Sounds like to me that you guys are just not getting lucky when finding companies to train with. My training did not cost me a penny. The agreement was stay with the company for a year and no cost, leave the company before the year is up and you have to pay the full amount. Hell, I even got paid to train. Do your research. :biggrin_255:

9. triplesanddoubles

triplesanddoubles Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Werner has always and will always be a starter low rate company. Just get your experience from them and leave. Then you can start filling out apps for good ltl companies.

FLCDL Thanks this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That's if you can last that long with Werner.They just assume get rid of you once you start getting raises.They rather hire students for the subsidy money and once u get the exp your miles drop and drop and drop.

capfiremedic Thanks this.
  11. capfiremedic

Jan 8, 2012
    Bay St. Louis, MS
    I did... and decided that I'd pay my cost up front than go with an inflated cost from a carrier. So, instead of being an indentured servant, I can operate on my own terms. A contract may have worked out well for you, and if it did then good on ya. I'd rather do the CDL on my dime and not have a large bill over my head in addition to a mortgage, family costs, etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.