Werner Orientation in Allentown PA 4/2011

Discussion in 'Werner' started by kb3bzy, Apr 22, 2011.

1. kb3bzy

kb3bzy Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Oreland PA
    July 28 2011

Hello Whoosedog, Mr. V. and the Group:

I just thought that It was important to add that I got another phone call from Werner recruiting letting me know that my application to return to work, even after It was approved this morning was cancelled.

I am not sure what is up with them, but this is the way that things go when people are not working together closely in an organization or corporation.

I did not ask them why they reversed their decision, I probably should have but they may not have given me a straight answer if I had asked them so I figured I would be better off without them, if they stay the same anyway, so why bother to ask?

I had a lot of Good times with Werner, and a lot of hard times dealing with the Trainers, who really were not up to Training. Two of them said it themselves and two of them were people who recently lived for Years in other countries and did not like Truck Driving very much compared to doing other things and they had personal problems in their lives in addition to not liking Truck Driving.

I always saw myself differently than them, because I have always lived in the NE part of the United States and I have always enjoyed driving all kinds of vehicles around these parts and I also don't mind working in retail stores as a reciever.

I don't have any problems with doing OTR or staying out for extended periods of time on the road, like I say It's just like having a Class A motorhome camping experience for me and Trucking is a lifestyle that I like to do. I am a little bit more concerned about supporting my Mother and taking care of things around the house, so I have asked for the local routes. Maybe I will find something worthwhile to do around here.

I'll pray about it and about Werner and then about the Trucking community. Things will get better and the screwed up things will recede to less in short time.

I think that things will get to be a lot more satisfying somewhere else. It was fun while It lasted for the most part at Werner and I can't put them down for my experience there. I learned a little bit from everybody and certainly from their Orientation, CBT's and their Trainer who road tested me. I guess that I learned a lot and my confidence level was boosted by the whole experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. whosedog

whosedog Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2009
    fair lawn nj
    Sorry to hear that;if you still want to drive you should get your free Dac report from Hireright to see what they dinged you with.One of my 23 yr old twins started training with Swift this Monday.He had a prehire with Werner but he decided against them because of how they treated his twin brother.He's training with an owner operator,for 3-5 weeks;I read a lot more positive posts about Swifties.

kb3bzy Thanks this.
  4. kb3bzy

kb3bzy Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Oreland PA
    July 29 2011

Hello Whoosedog and the group:

Yes, I have heard at least one report about Swift being a Good company. My head teacher at Smith and Solomon told me that I would have (2) choices after I got out of CDL School Werner or Swift. My Second Trainer Sharif told me that there are other Good companys out there as well, one of them is Crete. I may just go along with his reccomendations. I am interested in getting more experience on my employment record.

I really Hope that Werner is not going to put me up against the wall completely. I did'nt do too much out of line except tell my last trainer that I could'nt in Good conscience leave the cruise control on at the speed limit where there was crowded traffic conditions and of course stay in the same lane as some cars who were entering the I-70 E at one of the River bridges where there were extremely short ramps where the traffic was speeding in to my lane.

I always follow the Smith Laws and plan for an out or rather at least keep track of where all of the Traffic is around the rig. There's really nothing more to It than that I guess other than not driving over Your hours. I can't drive tired but I can usually drive about 600 Miles per day and this always seems to satisfy them.

5. Mr.V

Mr.V Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    HATBORO,PA
    How have you been? Any updates coming soon?

:biggrin_25519:

6. kb3bzy

kb3bzy Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Oreland PA
    August 12 2011

Hello Mr. V. and the Group:

I have been doing well at this point in time. I've done better of course, but that's just the way It is when You're not doing too much except cruising.

I went over to the Career Link a few times and kept in contact with them on the Internet by way of their web page: cwds.state.pa.us and just checked in for any new E-mails. I got a lot of responses back, but then I applied for all of their Trucking jobs, in 5 counties around Philadelphia PA.
    I think that most of them would like to have at least 6 Months of experience, so I may not get hired by some of them.
    I only contacted one of them so far, that seemed to require a Year's experience but who knows, they may just understand about Safety being the the most important thing to consider.

I would have applied to a School Bus company in the city, but It was only part time work, so I just let that one slide for now.

I could apply to more of them, and I probably should have, at least the ones who wrote and called me back on the Internet and the telephone, but I thought that I may just do some more OTR, just to get really comfortable with backing up into 45 and 90 deg tight places and to show the local ones that I have my Class A vehicle Months or hours in for their requirements.

I applied to one major OTR company, for a "Pennsylvania Regional" route and was accepted but the Orientation date is a few weeks off, due to number of students.
    They told me that I could go Solo if I could test out with one of their Trainers in 2 weeks. I thought that would be nice, but I still need some training on backing up so I called Smith and Solomon back and talked to George.

Smith and Solomon will allow me to come back for a few days to practice backing up and maybe to go out on the road with Manny again. I should be able to do whatever I need to do before the 28th, my next Orientation with the new Company. I will keep You posted and I will give You a clue if You are interested, and maybe You can write me back a Trucker's report E-Mail, I applied at the company that You posted about in May, and It's terminal is in the Harrisburg area.

I went to Hirerite.com and requested a background check on myself including my DAC and I am still in the process of waiting.

Everything about my background check, even considering Werner was cool with the new OTR company but the recruiter did exclaim Wow! when she was reading over something and I don't know if that had to do with the DAC comments or the quality of my resume that I sent in with my application, from the Career Link. She went on to say, You worked for FFE? so, Its hard to say what may be happening.

I always tell them the same thing at Hirerite, I was only a Student Driver at the company, not a Solo driver and that I was always following instructions from the Trainer and that I am citation and Accident free except on my Motorcycle record.

I try to put a line in once in awhile about how I am taking Flying lessons and that I cannot screw up and be negligent for DOT violations or have accidents because It would reflect on my background check for their FAA medical card.

7. whosedog

whosedog Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2009
    fair lawn nj
    You seem to have everything in order;keep us posted on your progress.

My son is still training with Swift,now teaming, as he's got his hours in and the trainer can sleep when he drives.They are on a reset in Laredo TX,took a hotel room for one night,got new tires on the tractor,back out OTR on Monday.His twin brother is making good $ with this roofing gig,hard work, but sleeps good every night.

Take care!

8. RCA1802

RCA1802 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NJ
    I would think that getting on with another company at this point might be a challenge.

This would be your third company in less than a year, the first two of which you never made it out of training.

Maybe trying a smaller company might be the way to go. Have you looked at Calex?

9. kb3bzy

kb3bzy Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Oreland PA
    August 15 2011

Hello Whoosedog and the Group:

Yes, I got signed up with another company and I am waiting to get into an Orientation. They seemed to be crowded with students so I will wait for (2) weeks, but actually It was'nt much of a challenge to find one. The recruiter there said that I only have to codrive with a Mentor for 2 weeks before I can test out.

I only Hope that they will be a reasonably fair company to work for and that they will have a Dollar Tree route open for me in my area. Pennsylvania regional is one of their routes so that is the way I have signed up for the entry level work.
    The recruiter said that It is my responsibility to check back often with them to find a dedicated account once I am hired on with the full certification.

I don't know about CALEX yet, Is that a Good company to work for and does It have any Philadelphia area terminals?

10. RCA1802

RCA1802 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NJ

Is the US Express orientation local?

11. kb3bzy

kb3bzy Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Oreland PA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.