WERNER, this kind of rip off cant be legal

Discussion in 'Werner' started by bloodyknuckles, Feb 3, 2008.

1. rollnrock

rollnrock Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Casa Grande
    I'm starting school soon and that's exactly how I feel dave4917! The trucking industry is meant for people that want/like to live on the road and can deal with ups and downs. It just so happens the Werner is a place to truly "earn your stripes!" I'm paying for school myself but I still want to get a year in with whomever and then things will open up. As I've read the posts I'm preparing for the BS as best I can and I plan on working hard and dealing with the not being home on time, lost pay, waiting for hours if not days for a load because it's just what you have to do!! Hope I'm not soapboxing too much but at least forums like this one are here letting us newbies know what really to expect which is something happens even in so-called careers you go to college for, which is what I did!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I'm usually out for 7-10 days at a time then home for 3 or 4. On a 7 day run, I have gotten as many as 4400 miles. On a 10 day, as many as 5400. I can make 2300 miles in 4 days. I get paid .38/mile in the US, .36 in Canada. I get paid $16 for each live load/unload, $10 every time I do a drop and hook, a $20 "nuisance fee" for border crossing, and $50 every time I get a Level 1 inspection and pass. One big downside at this time: AYR Motor Express of Woodstock, NB, is a slip seat operation. I have only been driving for 2 years, and have switched companies 6 times before I found the right fit.

4. rollnrock

Jun 24, 2008
    Casa Grande
    So CC are you an o/o or company man? Also what is a live load/unload and if company what outfit are you with?

5. 8tuesday11

8tuesday11 Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Nebraska
    to Cabhappygal None of this is any of my business, but if you could address it in some way, I am interested.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from reading your message I assume you are a US citizen and so I'm wondering how a US citizen gets to drive in Quebec or other parts of Canada. Did you marry a Canadian?

Also, I assume for some years of your work life you paid into the Social Security system in the USA. If so, will you be able to collect US social security benefits upon retirement in Canada?

6. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I'm a company guy for now... gonna wait til next year to see what happens with the industry. A "live load" means I stay with the truck, hooked to the trailer, backed into the dock. I am running for AYR Motor Express out of their head office in Woodstock, NB, Canada. They also have terminals in Brampton, ON, and Winnipeg, MB, as well as a drop yard in Dorval, QC. I am currently slip seating, but after I get home next week, I will be in a dedicated unit.

7. dreamer di giorno

dreamer di giorno Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    I'm leaving in a week to go to driver training and will then be driving for Werner. I was told that after the warranty runs out on your assigned truck you can pick the make and color of your next one. Is there anyone here who was with Werner long enough to know if that is accurate or not?

8. wackyncrazy

wackyncrazy Bobtail Member

May 20, 2007
    Nebraska
    I was with Werner for a Year and no you do not get to pick out color make modle with them you get what is avaible at the time. If you are a million miler you do get more perks like kind of truck but not on color.

dreamer di giorno Thanks this.
  9. rollnrock

Jun 24, 2008
    Casa Grande
    So Wacky is it true about Werner laying off students after getting them in for orientation while you were there for a year?

There are lots of posts about Werner pulling students in but sending them packing after orientation.

10. RowdyRigg

RowdyRigg Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2008
    AZ
    I have had some of the same problems with the big blue screw, but not as bad. I got lucky and had a good trainer, so I learned a lot, but the down time sucks. The only good things I can say about the place is that I got lucky with a nice new Pete 387 with only 50,000 miles on it and an APU and I haven't touched a piece of freight yet. I also get 2000 miles a week and go home every 12 days. Aside from that, the pay is absurd! I'm western regional, so it's a sliding scale. Any trip over 500 miles (which is all you get) is only .21 per mile! I'm leaving in a week, if anyone else will take a good driver with no experience.

11. snackman1977

snackman1977 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2008
    I just got canned from werner for having a late load that wasn't even my fault. i was supposed to swap with another driver in there atlanta drop yard (owned and run by a seperate comp)which is always full. they have a 'drop trailer/ u pick up a trailer' rule. The other driver was 300 miles out, he wouldn't get there untill 2 or 3am. they siad i coulnd't wait, my 14 hrs would be up in an hr. At that time my ac was broke and it was very humid. I wasnt about to stay at a truck stop and have lot lizards knocking on my door or getting into my truck. I would have to leave the windows open so it wouldnt be so hot. I didnt have any money to stop at the other 2 trk stp that u have to pay for. So i told night dispatch that i had to go to the terminal. after agrueing with him he finally siad gave me permision. so i went. trk went in the shop. i went to a hotel. i got there the next morning and my dispather said that i was charged with a late load. I dont understand why they couldn't just swap the loads at the term so I could get my trk fixed and then del the next morn. so anyway, after i got off hometime, they had me pick up a load at the drop yard in charlotte, nc and bring it to thier term in indianapolis, in. thats were they fired me. I had to put most of my stuff in storage ( least they were nice enough to do that). and spent 21 hours on a greyhound. today i'm going to call knight transportation and see what they have to say. my brother. who works for a truck driving school in charlotte, talked to one of there recruiters. His ex-roommate also work for them and said it was a good company. he left because he could spend the whole weekend at home. most company wont let you spend the whole weekend at home just 36-48 hr depending on when you last load gets you home and when your next load will pick up. i like to stay out 2-3 weeks anyway. also, does anyone have any good ideas of what i could put on the application when i fill one out. thx everyone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.