Werner wins the race!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by keelady, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Eight433

Eight433 Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2006
    IMO, your almost better off not ever driving a standard transmission in a car. They are synchronized, unlike a truck transmission. I've owned/driven almost exclusively manual transmission 4 wheelers. when i wanted to learn to drive big trucks, it was fighting second nature to double clutch when up shifting, not just down shifting (and not revving the engine while trying to up shift, lol)

My brain still fights my hand from time to time with the difference of shift patterns.

Good luck! If you truly want to succeed, I'm sure you'll do fine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nos

Nos Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Moline,Ill
    am I the only one that skips the gate frome 6th to 7th,(ending up in 9th),
    on the roadmaster 10 speed? Man I hate, the grind from the 5low to 6high transfer... chills up my spine every transision....
    Week 1 of school over:
    Still missing a gear every now an again, but only killed 2 curbs,due to traffic pulling into oncoming left lane at the last second leaving me with no out. Time blowing by fast......... love it!

4. training trucks at schools are almost always crappy worn out transmissions and such anyways good luck man

5. bobbyw

bobbyw Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Orlando Florida
    I was told on friday to call on monday and I got the no pay back loan so easy it was rediculous and now I am 2 months into the school,as far as the shifting goes some days I do good and some days not so good ,we use a 9 speed a 5 speed and some other h pattern 8-9 speed and the proverbial 10 speed so many different transmissions and different clutches to dip can be confusing sometimes but however I should have my CDL this week, good luck and do it one day at a time

6. yes good luck and remeber at least in my case every company has used a 10 speed

7. keelady

keelady Light Load Member

The school I'm going to has 10 speeds. My roommate's friend is picking me up tomorrow to take me out to show me how to shift. He says we can go out Saturday too so I'll have some time to process it and get a chance to practice again. BTW -- I've heard from a couple more companies since Werner. Let's see, the postcard from C.R. England says they have a truck waiting for me (I'm sure they have several hundred trucks waiting for somebody LOL), Covenant is itching to get me into one of their trucks at a eye popping 0.14 per mile -- for all miles driven with a trainer for 35 days, then I get a 21% raise to 0.17 per mile for all miles driven with a team for 30 days, USA Truck will take me if I schedule my orientation within 30 days of receiving their pre-approval letter. I am so glad I only need these pre-hire letters to get funding for school. I would be a basket case depending on these companies and their shaky offers of possible employment.

8. Nos

Nos Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Moline,Ill
    How do all,
    Been a week since last post, quite a bit had gone on..
    I went and took the skills up at the locale DMV, Short of it I now am the proud holder of A Class "A".(still waiting on comformation of haz. background check befor I can get "printed"). Big sigh of relief getting it out of the way. Not that the test was all that hard, just the antisipation and not having been through it before was most of it. I don't know about other schools, but I did get some "real world" experience on friday. We had to bobtail to a local bodyshop, pick up a trailer, deliver it to the customer, search for & pick up another, to be brought back to the shop.
    Real problems bad glad seals, bad pin on trailer electric. all the fun stuff. Pesonally I like the fact it's still 1 on 1, with no other students in the cab, more time fer ME. lol With any luck Should be 'bout finished in the next week or so, but in know real hurry, still want as much wheel time as I can get. I've been entertaing a few offers, namely, Transport America, Roehl, Schneider, But am still holding out for the local job I want, just need the haz. endorsement. I've heard it countless times on here in different posts, but I just love the fact their all calling ME waiting for MY response to their offer of employment. I really would like to thank all of the "experienced" drivers for sharing their knowledge of the REAL industry so those of us just starting out have a decent idea of just how much THE MAN will try an s***w ya. laters all...
    Nos

http://www.nos-design.com/image_links/5408.jpg

9. Scottyotty1

Scottyotty1 Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Just a matter of suggestion seeing that I didn't read anything about how many gears you'll be rolling through in that training truck it might be a good idea if the place is close by you early in the morning to stop by and talk to one of the instructors and ask them what their training in is it a 9-speed super 10 13 speed 18 speed and all of them have different shift patterns that way he can let you look at what you're going to be facing and then you can practice on the plunger the gears you'll be running through. More than likely it'll be something with an Eaton Fuller transmission hopefully older where it's sloppy that way the gears don't grind out during your training.
    Double clutch is very easy clutch in put her in gear clutch in bring her out of gear into neutral clutch in put her back into gear clutch in put her back into neutral clutch in put her back into a gear that's double clutching pretty simple.
    And remember there's no hurry because there is more than a few million miles of road in front of you once you begin your journey I like to refer to it as The NeverEnding load.
    I see a lot of speed demons out here nowadays running against the clock and I try to remind them look out the front windshield you still got a few million miles in front of you there's no hurry.
    I see West Coast Runners running flat-out along I-10 from Texas and I yell out at him hey don't worry there's a guy in Arizona that's way ahead of you.
    The main thing to remember is take your time try to enjoy the ride try to eat decent and get plenty of rest when you can and above all whenever you get the chance to get by the house do it.
    Good luck to you I really mean that and don't listen to all the negativity in the driver's Lounge when you hire on at your first company.

10. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Should have gave her that advice 13 years ago

NightHawk365 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.