Wester Star glider, to do or not to do???

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by NFDDJS, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    If you are buying engine from the factory, just letting you know you can buy an industrial engine (just don't tell them it's going in a truck). Last time I looked you could still buy a mechanical 3406C over 500hp industrial brand new. If you get a generator application you just need to change rear governor housing.

If you want reliability, ease of maintenance and less wiring problems mechanical is the way to go. Same mpg as ECM engines.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Complete glider put together with factory rebuild rears and 18 speed, with a CAT C-15 525HP/1850T and no added cost if I want 550hp or 600hp from the factory, truck loaded to the hill, all LED lights, air 5th wheel, with the top of the line that they offer interior and 68" sleeping is just over $138,500 with all taxes. If you would like more info on how I have it st up let me know. I am still working on some things but this the price I have right now for how it is set up

black_dog106 Thanks this.
  4. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    So who's would be putting it together then?

5. ISF

ISF Bobtail Member

May 7, 2012
    Hi NFDDJS,

I think the Detroit would be a better choice because they have a better warranty package and better fuel econ for when your hauling freight.

But you should really asking the guys @ Diesel Spec. you'll find the info @ www.dieselspec.ca talk to Chris or Ian

Thank You from ISF

6. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    The dealer would be putting it together. I will have to ask about the Detroit warranty again but if I remember right they said the Cat had the better warranty but I will check with them tomorrow about that. I will be ordering the truck in September once things slow down. Rather keep the two trucks busy while I can. They said it will take 6-8 weeks to get in and one week in the shop to get it done once the truck in here.

They have a forum on Diesel Spec? I looked around and did not see one.

7. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Just found out I can get a Cat C-16 600hp/2050T with a 5 year/500,000 warranty. Who has the C-16 and who likes it?

8. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn

That's funny because a Glider company out of Ohio told me that I could get a N14 in a W-Star

9. rico750

rico750 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2012
    GA
    I agree. Detroit all the way! i bought my freightliner Glider kit from this company in Tennessee called Fitzgerald Glider kits with the allready upgraded exhaust manifold and turbo and am getting 7.1 mpg! I'll be driving these DDEC's IV's as long as they make 'm

10. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Well I think I am going to go wit the CAT motor not the Detroit. I can get a Cat C-16 motor with a better warranty for $3180.00 more then the Detroit cost me. Also can get 600hp 2050T and from what I have been told and read it will get the same or better fuel mileage then the C-15 because of less shifting because of the power that the Cat C-16 puts out. One other reason I am going Cat is because I have a very good relationship with Milton Cat and they have gone above and beyond in the past for us.

11. rico750

rico750 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2012
    GA
    i hear ya. well the fitzgerald people have for me as well. Great bunch of people and it's hard to beat the 7mpg. How are you doing on your fuel mileage?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.