What’s my best option for earning potential?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TomGodin, May 17, 2019.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Freightliner

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Don’t they Own a Freightliner and a Kenworth Dealership in Joplin?

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Unknown.

Today's world everyone wants the best, ultimate, end all to be all truck, freight, job, 'ol lady, blah.

When you guys find any of that, do me a favor and let me know.

I make great money. So do the guys. The trucks are good. There's still issues. It's the business.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  5. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Can you buy your own trailer or are you doing a lot of drop and hook? That will save you far more than any aero truck will running the Northeast. I ran groceries in the Northeast in the early 2000’s so I’ve been there done that.

rank Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s either Joplin or Springfield, I’ve been there.

7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I don't know where exactly you're running in the NE but I'm get similar or better mileage than you with a 3406B running up and down I-81 in the same type of truck. Then again I drive ~60 mph so if you're shooting for 75 then you;re getting pretty good mileage at that speed.

F4T6UY Thanks this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It seems odd to me that insurance would be a percentage, is this normal in leasing agreements?
    It doesn't matter if you are making what you want, and or need. I am of the mind that I do not care what someone else makes, as long as they pay me what I ask for and want, unless I would change my tune if they paid someone else more for the same work,
    I just signed a somewhat informal lease, to get the freight and pay I wanted, they charge me exactly what the insurance costs them, which is about half of what my agent was gouging me for. When I ran some OO's under my authority, I did the same. I don't think either of us would been happy with a percentage based price on insurance.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  9. TomGodin

TomGodin Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA
    I’ve had that conversation with people...from what I can tell, I would say it’s fairly normal considering Landstar, Schneider Choice and a few others I’ve looked into are percentage based. I have the option to get my own authority here which I’m inclined to do once I get a little more saved up. Most of the other owner ops at this company run their own and save more in the long run. Although I’m not sure if I want to take on the extra paperwork and responsibility.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. TomGodin

TomGodin Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA
    Upstate New York, Conn, Mass, RI, PA, Jersey, Delaware and Maryland. I run whatever the speed limit is (highest being 70) I don’t hot dog it and try to go easy on throttle work. I had the intercooler and rad cleaned on outside Friday, was packed with mud. I’m already noticing like a .3 mpg increase and better power and response. Intake air temp was probably high

rank and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Yeah I’m 60-62 mph so that’s probably why my mileage is a little better.

Congrats on being able to stay afloat after spending $50k on your truck in the first year. Most that ask questions here about starting out don’t believe that can happen to them

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.