What’s my best option for earning potential?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TomGodin, May 17, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have always had my own authority and I know guys will say different, but the only real benefit I really saw, was more freedom and the ability to put on more trucks and hire OO's. These last two could be debated as to being a benefit or not. lol
    Actual dollar that stays in your pocket, is very close to the same if a guy is with a good outfit that has good freight and other amenities that saves you bucks. I have had a hard time wrapping my head around paying someone a percentage to work, but can see the benefits of doing so. I have booked loads from carriers that paid more than what I could get out of the shipper, it seems like they can charge more and the shipper is only 2 glad to pay it, if they just have to make one phone call and get a truck.

rank Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TomGodin

TomGodin Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA
    It was a scary couple of months a while back but I was able to finance 25k of the engine job through cat. I tried to prepare myself for as much as possible but didn’t expect to have blowby issues on a truck with 600k 6 months into owning it. The company I’m with also let’s you rent a company truck for $100/day + .13/ mile, from what I hear that’s a lot cheaper than Penske or Ryder but I never called to ask.

4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    You
    had to rebuild a big bore Cat at 600k? What’s up with that?

5. TomGodin

TomGodin Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA
    It has 27k hours it was a chemical transfer truck for a company that went bankrupt. Then I bought it from a used truck dealer. I’m guessing lots of idle time. Maybe poor maintenance. It passed a blowby test before I bought it but blew the oil cap off 50k into me using it and failed test at that point. Normal liner wear was all Cat found.

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.