What’s the average load rate coming out of Florida I just got a load for like $1.70 is that normal

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Informedtrucker, Sep 21, 2021.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Some say haul cheap, some say deadhead out. I know I'm just a company driver, professional mile chaser. Many of company guys get bummed about short runs, but I tend to look at what the bottom line is. A good point was made earlier, when one member said it depends on where you take a load too. If your bottom line at the end of week meets your goals, does it really matter if you take a cheap load? What I mean is if your other loads pay you what you need and more, that can render that 1.70 obsolete.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I normally get 2 plus out but I wait till the last minute to get the loads. Also always get really good going to FL. I hit FL a lot this year but normally stay away.

4. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Prebooking or spotting a load days out. Is always gonna be cheap. Spot freight market is best when they are desperate an last minute

5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Why bother with a cheap load when you can deadhead to a better paying one and lose less time overall? Also, why should one Shipper subsidize the transportation costs of another?

6. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Only done Florida 4 times this year I think

1st trip $4.15 to New Orleans that was a shorter run from Panama City
    2nd $2.25 to Bradenton to Little Rock
    3rd $2.77 to Port Canaveral to Columbus, Ga
    4th $2.25 to Medley, to Hallsville, TX

All lead to better pay going home. All 4 trips I made enough going in to comfortably deadhead out. I’ll deliver, hit a service plaza and start looking. Except the Medley load fell in my lap after delivering to Hialeah. I normally don’t book ahead of time. I would not take $1.70, just anything less than $2 Not worth the time. $2.25 not great either but doable there to get out.
    This is open deck stuff

86scotty, Speed_Drums, Coffey and 2 others Thank this.
  7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Hauling out Florida is a waste of time.
    Going back to Chicago, there is not that much difference in finding something in Miami or Orlando vs vs finding something in Atlanta, Ga or even Nashville Tn.

8. Really

Really Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2021
    Rollin into ga from fl for a load isn't a new practice. Rates rise and fall and it's not based so much on speculation of how many trucks might randomly show up from another state.

9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Are you insinuating that more trucks in an area doesn't drive rates down?

10. Really

Really Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2021
    No I'm saying that it is worded as if it's a new trend. "Not based so much" key words

11. Really

Really Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2021
    A truck dh's from Florida. Ok how do you know that truck is in ga? If they don't post the truck as available it won't change the trucks available number will it?

1000 loads going to fl and 1000 to ga. Ok, now there are 1000 trucks in each state. And there 1000 loads in each state. How do you speculate how many trucks are in each state? You speculate perhaps using a trend line? From where was this information derived? Loads in, posted trucks, loads not covered?

What if the truck drops in ga and then dh's to AL,, tn, sc, how do you know? I've done all three of those. What if the truck is on a round trip, already has a return load? It will skew the numbers because the load won't be posted if it's already taken but the truck showed up.

Example, DAT finds load to truck ratio by dividing posted loads by posted trucks. It's that accurate? No way! I've never posted my truck and I've taken loads that where not posted on a board. Could I be the only one that's dh to another state from ga, not posted my truck in an area, got a load that wasn't posted publicly? No.

Tldr: yeah I know this gig runs off of supply and demand in the market and with trucks. But also the influx of dh trucks to ga stays pretty consistent. So it's not anything new and said rate drop leans more towards the market and not the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.