What’s the best app for speed traps.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Shackdaddy, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    I drive a slow as molasses company truck.
    Couldn’t speed in it if I wanted to.

I’m going on an out of state road trip in my SUV. Time will be tight so I may have to cannonball run this bich.

tscottme and Coffey Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omar2018

Omar2018 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Waze and the speed app for iPhone, it’s green and red it also has 55mph on it.I used it for a couple months when my Speedometer wasn’t working.

Shackdaddy Thanks this.
  4. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky

Can you call Tennessee and let them know that. It's like they have a one sign per 100 mile rule or something.
    :D

5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    WAZE is the only app I know of that shows speed traps

if you have the sound on, it also tells you about every broken down car on the shoulder , which in a metro area is very annoying .

You can just ask on the cb every half hour or so .

I use WAZE for the speed traps warning but I also glance at Google maps every 30-45 minutes to check for major backups , if you turn on the traffic jam feature in the menu in Google maps it shows the roads in green yellow or red , depending on the speed of the traffic .

If speeding is your thing , you could also get a good radar detector like the Valentine ,that’s invisible to the VG2 radar detector detector , and install it in a hollowed out external CB speaker
    And modify the wires so the radar detector is powered from the CB . So you can switch it on and off with a knob or button on the cb

that’s what I did when I was hauling reefers with bananas, and had to average 70-72 mph to make the trip in the time allotted .
    I also had a warmed up big cam Cummins & 13 speed that would pull 80k up most any hill at 70 mph .

but nowdays it’s just not worth it . there’s speed cops every few miles it seems like .

and every little podunk town has extended their city limits to include a half mile of the interstate so they can rake in the cash .

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Michigan requires a speed limit sign on any street or road within so many feet of an intersection and at regular intervals but I think they ran out of signs back in 1986.

this is a state that finally corrected the signs on 696 for 75 ramps, it only took them 40 years.

mjd4277, Cattleman84 and Coffey Thank this.
  7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I don’t mean to derail the thread, but am I the only one who hates the term “speed trap?” Like it’s a trap that any innocent person can just fall into and get eaten.

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Speed limit signs work fine for around town/construction zones

out on the big road I never even get a second look at 5 over up here and that’s more then enough for me

mustang190 and Coffey Thank this.
  9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    That’s a term that is appropriate to use when they hide .
    Or when they sit 50 feet beyond the reduction in speed sign .

when they hide , it’s not about safety , it’s about money .

When a “town” with 1200 population, extends their city limits three miles so they can get a mile of interstate in the city limits and then they sit there all day and all night running radar in a stretch of road that has no efficient on the “safety “ of their tiny little town , it’s about the money .

Speedy356, mjd4277, Dino soar and 6 others Thank this.
  10. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Hire a guy in a black Pontiac Firebird to run your front door.

DRTDEVL, mjd4277, striker and 9 others Thank this.
  11. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Lets try using the CB radio again..

mjd4277, Bean Jr., Last Call and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.