What’s the longest day you’ve worked?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by copperdome, Nov 13, 2019.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Last week I had to drive overnights and train a new guy during the day. Driving plus loading. I would stop at some point overnight to sleep maybe 4 hours or so, maybe a little less. Could not sleep in between appointments because they were not far apart. Made about 3000 that week, but do not want to do that again. Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Did about 36 hours straight once putting up greenhouses in SD, hitting overtime at noon on Wednesday was nice.

4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    WTF is work I came for the party

5. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Party all day, truck all night c'mon.

6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Back then I was doing about 18 hours of steady cardio/diesel pump generation a day in the midwest or south. I had a specially built Huffy 10 speed frame with twin sticks instead of thumb shifters with a 6x4 sprocket pattern.

There were times running grapevine where I'd hit a max heart rate the entire time, usually when I was hauling a side kit with 3 coils on. Before I started up I would get a sackful of Krystals and a gallon of sweet tea for energy, all gone before I started back down.

To answer your question, I have switched to interval training on Elogs. Now in these plastic trucks, I do max effort every time a check engine light comes on or I'm waiting for someone to finish their break on a fuel island. Eating kale and drinking cucumber water has me shredded like never before.

7. PoleCrusher

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    But how'd ya get 100' coils to fit inside a side kit?

Hmmmmm?

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    A wiener measuring contest....Lol. But I’ll play. St Cloud FL to Satanta KS twice a week for two months was always the longest day of work for a few years. Now my longest day driving on ELD’s is 18-20 hours.

9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    It's a tried and true method I rarely divulge, but it includes a converted 45' beverage trailer, a dozen bungees and strategically placed load locks. No chains, its too time consuming.

10. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    One of my most memorable long days was in 1975, the first ever highway trip I ran solo, with a full load of steel, was 20 years old.

Drove a plain jane short WB Ford LTL9000 day cab with an 8V71, 13 spd, 4:63 gears, 20 inch tube type tires, no air seat, no insulation, burnt out muffler, Hendrickson suspension and pulled a 40 ft flat deck.
    Had all kinds of problems with the load, was slow going because of road construction, yadda yadda, took me 56 hours to reach my destination, just under 1400 miles.
    To this day I don't remember driving on the #400 from Barrie to Toronto.

Checked into a swanky hotel just after midnight where the company had an account, the Flying Dutchman in Bowmanville ON.
    When I got out of the truck my head was buzzing, I was dizzy and had to hang onto the truck for a few minutes ubtil I got my balance back, and when I was standing at the check in counter I fell asleep on my feet and the desk clerk had to wake me up!

Had a shower, ordered a pizza and passed out.
    Wake up the next day at 6:00 o'clock, call room service to order breakfast and they tell me they don't serve breakfast because it's 6:00 o'clock in the evening!

11. PoleCrusher

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    I started using flex seal on coils. Just spray a bunch underneath after they set it down, good to go.

12. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    7-UP, D.Tibbitt, Feedman and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.