What’s wrong with my drive shaft?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Hulld, Jul 18, 2019.

1. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Never heard of drive shaft phasing.
    Now I know why my old Benz vibrates after replacing the driveshaft bearing. I just slapped it back in without marking it before I pulled it out.
    Thank you. Learned. something new.
    Weekend project

A5¢, x1Heavy and Hulld Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    With heat and my largest t-bar press with the 3/4 gun would not budge them on a few. Dont like reusing the yokes after heating that hot either and hard to get red hot without a rosebud. Cut one off with torch and the splines were trashed in the end due to rust.

Now if the press and impact wont budge it a new shaft it gets.

Tiger tool has a nice yoke press I've had my eye on but dont mess with much full round stuff anymore. Everything I see has straps or bolt on yoke caps.

Screenshot_20190718-212952_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    x1Heavy and Hulld Thank this.
  4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    1F20C990-C2E2-41DB-8E66-A6EC8BF9BBCB.jpeg
    Well today is my lucky day...
    No new driveshaft for me...

swaan, Rideandrepair, A5¢ and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Even got the bearing off in one piece. That happens like 1 outta ten up here in the rust belt. Less its slathered with never sieze.

Rideandrepair, Hulld, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One of my older cars a cherished Olds 88 I think it was called. About the 1994 or 5 model year. I normally do not like to drive what I could call "Hearses" This particular car we had a small charger on there. She can get up and go once into her power band. But rather clumsy if you tried to horse her or drift with it. Too much body roll. Not to mention a burn on the eyeballs of more righteous car owners.

The crankshaft on that engine sat on polished bearing surfaces and one day she started to go out of balance. Just a smidgen. Then more and more eventually rattled to a check engine red light all stop. Made it to the shop and they got deep into it. Once they detected just how bad the bearing surfaces had become it's to the salvage yard it went.

Reminds me of that one old short mack from the mid 60's where it's engine was abused to the point of destruction by myself. Company probably totaled it out and issued me another.

A additional question to Mr Hulld would be this. There is a big spline machined gear coming out of the drive shaft on the lower part of your picture Does that have more of it's self inside the drive shaft?

Rideandrepair and Hulld Thank this.
  7. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Yes
    This truck is a perfect example of what I have known for years living in the rust belt of up state NY.
    The cost of living here is huge compared to non salt belt areas.
    This truck is a 2007 with just shy of 1 million miles on it.
    I bought the truck in Waco Texas and it had never been north of Mississippi.
    I have had the truck for about 4 years now and it spends its winters in Florida so it has never seen salt.
    There is a huge dollar amount associated with living in the salt belt with trying to keep up with repairs on equipment and your daily driver for that matter.
    This truck will get three u joints and a carrier bearing and along with a couple hours labor it will be on the road again.
    Now if it was run in the salt belt I would probably be looking at countless hours of aggravation heating and then destroying every puller I own only to fail and have to purchase a complete new driveshaft for thousands of dollars.
    There certainly has to be a better way then the salt/ liquid calcium they use on the roads in my area during the winter?

x1Heavy, swaan and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The splined part is a hub welded to the driveshaft tube

x1Heavy and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    That is not what I call a slip yoks, no slip to them, somebody just put it back on wrong when they changed the carrier bearing, PROBABLY. I have seen two different rigs with the driveshafts in backwards from the factory, we turned them both around to where the slip yoke was to the front, and had to turn them back around or they vibrated. It may be possible that it was balanced like that.
    I have one of those tiger tools for the u-joints, the only thing I ever found wrong with it,is I should have bought it some 20 years before I did.

swaan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    There is no slip joint , it was welded that way . Some goofball missed up .

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Welded that way? As in shade tree get her done?

What is the cost of a replacement shaft? Is that even a consideration?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.