What’s your favorite truck stop?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Lonewolf2000, Aug 25, 2018.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My favorite types of truckstops have been gone for years,
    It used to be that small truck stops were my favorites, those that you used on a regular basis and they would come bang on your door to wake you up when you wanted. I even had one that when the morning shift came to work, it was standard to wake me up if I was in the parking lot, and yes they would check.
    These ladys at these same places would mail in your bills, fines , etc for you.
    If you had some business to tend to, or needed to go get parts or what ever, they would either give you a ride, or loan you their rig.
    They would hold something from you and give it to another driver, or vica versa.
    You could write checks for fuel, cash, what ever you needed basically.

Things changed over the years, it got to where there was no way you would ask some young girl to come out in the parking lot to wake you up at 4 in the morning, even if they or corporate would let them, it just wouldn't be right or safe.

To me anymore, a truckstop is just a place to get fuel, shower and something to eat. No resemblance to the past.

I ran my first load up the Alcan in 99, and stayed in my truck and basically toured Alaska. I made up my mind that I was coming to Alaska to stay eventually, trucking once you got away from theU.S. border 100 miles or so, was much like trucking 25 years in the past. When someone had trouble trucks would start stopping until someone had the right stuff to get her back on the road, There was no BS on the radio at all, infact it was again a tool instead of a toy. Just a whole different world , no big truckstops at all, some places had free coffee for drivers, some had free showers, even if they weren't open. You knew the combination to the lock on the shower rooms, so on and so on.
    Since 99, things have been changing up here to, like it is trying to catch up. It is nothing like when I started coming up, but is likely still 25 years behind what you guys are dealing with.

D.Tibbitt, Cam Roberts and Slowmover1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckermonkey

Truckermonkey Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2019
    I wish I had been in the truck back when trucking was in it's prime, so I could have experienced it. Truck stops, for the most part now, are nasty as hell. I listen to stories from friends who have been driving for decades, and it sounds like a dream. I feel for you guys for what you've lost, it must have been quite a ride.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    One of my favorites is the ta in wapakenota,ohio.. Still to this day the best food i have ever had on the road... Its a local resturant not a country pride.. I think it used to be a old school truck stop and ta bought it... I found it last year after taking a wrong turn.... My favorite truck stops are the ones with lots of parking and good local food.. Getting harder to find that anymore

5. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    That’s the one that has “Jose’s” restaurant in it. That place is awesome. I had all you can eat enchiladas there. I think it was a Thursday. I keep wanting to go back.

6. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Sounds like a dream because of nostalgia
    Most everything starmac has described about old truck stops still exists at new age truck stops. You can still mail stuff, you can still purchase parts for your truck.

Can you imagine if truck stops only had 2 showers and the truck stops were spread hundreds of miles apart
    Or only had 4 fuel islands?

Modern day truck stops are a luxury, a luxury many drivers take for granted.
    That old saying “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone” comes to mind. Y’all don’t know how good you have it.
    Are the restrooms/showers spotless? No. But that’s because of the amount of people using them. You can’t reasonably expect a truck stop to clean a bathroom stall after every single person.

7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I agree with most of what your points. But it is still much different too, most modern truckstops are travel plazas not what a truckstop used to be.
    No way in a mega travel plaza could they allow a waitress to go out in the parking lot to give a driver a wake up call.
    I have seen brand new truckstops/travel plazas basically trashed in 6 months time, in days of old this was unheard of, the owners would not stand for it, and even the drivers would have taken care of the problem drivers themselves, problem solved quick like.
    I can show you a truckstop (closed about 6 years ago now) that had a shower room for men and one for women, the shower stalls were private, but the dressing area where you left your clothes and belongings, was just a main room, try that these days. lol
    I was in the process of getting a couple of pieces moved with the forklift at Rip Griffins, the first dat TA had taken over. It had the same shop help, but a new shop manager, when the manager saw what was happening, he ran out and stopped the mechanic, it seemed TA did not allow them to do that sort of thing. GROAN
    A lot has changed in the world, mostly morals and attitudes from the general public, we are responsible for the changes , good or bad.

8. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    The big difference in truck stops today vs yesterday is the restaurants or lack of them. It use to be there was a drivers area and drivers had good conversations among themselves. You never see that today. Everyone keeps to themselves.

RockinChair and bzinger Thank this.
  9. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    My favorite for a quick meal (I love burgers) is Rutter’s
    Man try this if you stop in one.
    You want to kaiser roll cheese burger double pork belly, BBQ sauce +mayo, cole slaw, onions, lettuce and a pinch of salt.
    My stomach is growling just thinking about it

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My favorite part of the truckstop restaurants were the waitresses, the right ones could make anything taste good. lol
    All kidding aside, when I was younger, it was customary for people traveling to look for where trucks were parked for good places to eat, as we ate good, now it seems like drivers think a hot dog is a meal. lol

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  11. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    That was one of the first places I thought of... I think that particular location may be one of the oldest truck stops in the country. The truck parking lot absolutely SUCKS...but the food inside more than makes up for it. I haven't been up that way in a while (because I haven't been on 75 north of Dayton in years--and won't be mad if I never see that stretch of 75 ever again), but I do remember the food and uber-friendly wait staff.

I think a good way of looking at "favorite stops" are the ones one will purposely go out of their route (but not by a big ol' margin) to get to, or adjust a whole route just to get there. For me, and for reasons too stupid to qualify, the Wings America Flying J in Avoca IA fits that bill. Just your average J outside, but it also has a sit-down restaurant, two "sort of" unique other restaurants, and then the two souvenir/gift shops. I probably shouldn't like that stop as much as I do, but I do and I make it a point to stop there if I ever go past--which these days is becoming more common.

Of course, with me being based out of South Dakota now, the Coffee Cup in Vermillion (at least until TA takes it over) and Stones in Watertown definitely have become my two favorite spots, Stones especially. Being that it's family-owned, there's next to 0% chance they'll ever sell out to a bigger chain, so there's that.

D.Tibbitt and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.