What about those solar panels I'm seeing on top of trucks lately

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TruckRunner, Oct 11, 2018.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    hmm. my tripac is quiet. I used to have carrier apu and that one was making loud noise. you will be upset next summer if you will install electric apu now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I would get solar just to keep the batteries topped off during the days when not running. The generator works to run the split AC system.

Troy_ and TruckRunner Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    My new T680 has idle management system with the battery powered AC and diesel powered bunk heater. It has separate batteries for that system, and when they get low the truck engine starts automatically to recharge them. I'll let you know how it works after I pick up the truck next week.

pmdriver Thanks this.
  5. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Ha my Rigmaster keeps me frozen but it's as loud as a reefer .

6. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Started using the Peterbilt system in August. Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana

I already fitted REFLECTIX panels to window interiors. A big help year round. Faster than curtains. Take a nap during day? Toss the windshield cover up. Really hot or cold? Use curtains also.

I, too wondered about the electric AC. So continued to park facing away from the afternoon sun.

10-hours worked. And it’s dead quiet. Better than 13L idling all night.

Super-insulated sleeper curtains and window covers back there. Pre-cool last few miles on road. Close curtains

I’d park at end of day and go to bathroom. Etc. On return, run truck for awhile. Cool cab thoroughly.

Wake seven hours later just fine. Mines older, no auto engine start. Only a couple of times have I needed to restart engine and bring down temps inside. But, hell, I wake up 4-5/hrs into the night anyway. If I didn’t wake, it wasn’t any big deal

Diesel bunk heater for cold. Same control panel. Everyone knows how great those are.

No idling is worth it to me even if it isn’t as cold. The humidity is low and I can adjust fan speed.

If I do a 34-reset, I find the “best” parking spot next morning when everyone gone. Next to grass always better. Etc.

Anyone will sleep better. Lack of rumble and vibration is definitely healthier.

And being older, and some health changes, I have to be careful about hot & cold. Be prepared. Clothing & gear. Affects me otherwise.

So I may wear clothes that I wouldn’t leave the truck with. Change into something a little more respectable.

Don’t just focus on how it’s powered. Think of how to make conditions for your health & comfort better. APU versus this or that is only part of the equation.

kylefitzy, SteveScott and TruckRunner Thank this.
  7. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Yeah my company truck has that and it scares the hell out of me. I'm sleeping and suddenly truck kicks on I'm thinking someone is stealing my truck and I jump out of bed half sleep ready to fight a ghost.

alds, D.Tibbitt, Slowmover1 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    tenor.gif

9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    People complain about APU noise (like Tripac, engine fired ones). Imagine how difficult it would be to sleep all of the places we have to try and sleep if you didn't have some noise to block it out? My APU makes just enough noise so I can sleep anywhere. It woke me up for about the first 3 nights.

Not many people ever say this but if you're a really light sleeper or can only sleep when it's quiet or dark then trucking probably isn't for you.

Numb, dunchues and mhyn Thank this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Solar farms contribute to global warming.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.