What about ups tractor trailer?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    See it’s different here in construction.

My job doesn’t need a union, my boss pays me more than scale and isn’t a scum bag. He treats his employees right and it’s only a 40 person company.

BUT you gotta be Union to get the good jobs. You’re in the cool kids club then, you won’t get government jobs without it and can’t go on the big boy job sites with a scab company.

My boss likes the union anyways. He doesn’t have to deal with insurance and all that or us #####ing about raises. Plus he gets to pick the good apprentices.

There has never been a grievance filed at my job in 40 years. At my last job there were 40 a day, awful company but strong union so it didn’t matter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Being a shop steward for years and knowing the ins and outs of the bs I couldn't even imagine UPS without the teamsters. They would pay everyone$9/hr to bump the dividends until the company went under lol.

LtlAnonymous and Fold_Moiler Thank this.
  4. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    That’s how my last job was too. Company was garbage but they couldn’t do anything to us because of the union so we pretty much disregarded them.

I bought a house and they tried to make me work on my closing day and told me to move in two weeks. LOLOLOLOL I called in sick for 3 days straight and got paid and they couldn’t do a #### thing about it.

LtlAnonymous and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    To put it in perspective for everyone. This is a old example but it's a continuous business model. When I started driving a package car in late 2001 I was in a 1978 p1000. Truck number 78606, I'll never forget it. No power steering, it sat like two feet off the ground (really hard on your knees when you are getting in and out 180 times a day) Chevy 292 straight six that shot a fireball out of the exhaust everytime you let off the gas, 4 speed with the worst gap between third and fourth which made fourth unobtainable if you were even thinking about a hill. I didn't even get a truck with power steering until like 2012. Here in Florida and I imagine all along the south and southwest they are still running p800 and p1000s because they didn't rot out. So in 2019 you can still end up at a job with no power steering. I loved every minute of it and you get paid very very well but if you have any picky wants about a truck it is not the place for you. It's easy to say ahh yes I'm getting paid so I don't care if you have never driven anything like that. I remember I was totally used to the no power steering trucks and could whip them around like a go cart and then I got a truck with power steering....I noticed I wasn't as tired at the end of the day lol, old trucks are a lot of work. I started there and have only ever driven #### so it's totally fine for me but I know a lot of guys can't make the swing from a nice truck to junk and I completely understand why and can't fault anyone for it.

I forgot to add. We were running Volvo cabovers until like 08 lol.

LtlAnonymous and Fold_Moiler Thank this.
  6. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    #### that’s rough, I’ve driven a lot of ####ty trucks but never for years and years straight.

A few jobs ago we had the ugliest trucks you ever saw but they were race cars lol. 100 mph Columbia’s for no freaking reason at all. Whatever I’ll take it lol.

7. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    There are quite a few threads that have UPS discussed in them over the course of several months in the LTL section.

How people tend to miss the search feature or have to start a new thread boggles my mind.

There is an unofficial forum for big brown thats more company focused if you use google.

Also research the national master agreement and local supplements for the area you apply to. That way your informed to an extent when going into an interview
    Some hubs are hurting and using seasonal rates to attract new drivers. As for when or if they'll stop that rate and go back to the contract rate all depends. Just be prepared if it happens.

As for insurance each area is different. Most of what he said is probably accurate.

8. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Very true. We have had a lot of good threads going in just the past few weeks about the new, the old, ins and outs.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have not seen him for a few years now, but there used to be an old fellow , that was retired from UPS come up here and basically just hang out and camp in his van all summer.He wa a clown, hung out with a lot of drivers.

Anyway not long before he retired he had some Tshirts made with two moose mating on them, with the words across them ( what can brown do for you) He said he gave all of the office staff one and thought he was going to get fired before he could retire. lol

10. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I have not had time to get on here yet, but this post is on my radar.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. authentic251

authentic251 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Out of curiosity how was the former plan ups had?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.