What advice would you give to your younger self at the start of his career?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gone4truck, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    My advice is this... you’re going to spend the vast majority of your time out away from home on the road. Set up your home life to be as thrifty, efficient and cheap as possible. This will allow you more flexibility. I see so many new truck drivers get their first few checks and then they go out and buy some $50,000 new vehicle with a $700 a month payment. On top of all the other bills that they don’t need. For me to mentally do this job I have to know that it’s leading to something else better. Not that I’m just running on a wheel like a rat in a cage. It needs to lead to things that better or improve my life, Because I can guarantee myself the truck driving in of itself is not going to do that. Truck driving will likely take years off your life expectancy.

get in, work hard, keep your record clean, save your money or invest in things that make you more money and hopefully one day get out, or do as I did now, drive part time.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Blue jeans, slow.rider and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Not to mention that online commerce has exploded! Hell I hear even UPS has hired guys straight off the street for some positions which was unheard of not that long ago.

4. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Jesus its driving not prison. So many guys in this industry that just cannot stand their job.

MysticHZ, Blue jeans and Gypsy88 Thank this.
  5. Gypsy88

Gypsy88 Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2019
    Chicago
    I have thus far found the majority of people in this industry fall into 2 categories:

1) "Bro, it's easy money if you know how to deal with some B.S., & EVERY job has some B.S... you know that."

2) "Bro, ain't enough money for all this B.S. (proceeds to complain about B.S.)"

slow.rider and Cali kid Thank this.
  6. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I started this career at the ripe old age of 56. I had a specific plan in place. Live in the truck, run a ####load of miles, bank my money. I have been doing just that for 5 years. I hope to do it for 4 more years.......at least until 65. I should be able to retire comfortably. If you are 25-35 years old, give it 15- 20 years, save and invest to the best of your ability. You will be in better financial shape than 80% of your peers. How bad do you want financial security? Make it happen.....good luck!

7. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Thanks for the honesty @Moose1958. I spent the better part of the first 50 years of my life being a dumb ###. Finally did the best I could to grow up and get my #### together. Trucking has been my golden ticket to a chance at a decent retirement. I just became a Grandpa last week. Even more incentive to keep it up. I just turned 61. I hope to hang up the keys by 65-66.

Kinsman and slow.rider Thank this.
  8. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    The problem being the government is printing money like drunken sailors. House prices might keep going up faster than you can save money.

BeHereNow97 Thanks this.
  9. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Any money in the bank in that situation is certainly better than none. We are living in crazy crazy times. None of us have a crystal ball. Just spend what you need to and bank as much as you can

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If you marry that girl, you marry her family.

Blue jeans, Kyle G. and Lumper Humper Thank this.
  11. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Oh.....please don't remind me! Lol:eek:

Lumper Humper and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.