What and How do OTR cook in your truck?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by hoosiergirl, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Don't spend a dime until you find out if your
    Hubby can cook in his truck.
    He's gonna need a power inverter for a lot of
    This cooking stuff. So you and him make sure
    That the company he works for has them or allows them.
    Not all of them do.

It'll save you a ton of money though.
    One man eating out everyday at truck stops cost
    The same as feeding a family of four at home.

hoosiergirl Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hoosiergirl

hoosiergirl Light Load Member

May 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Thanks-this is a great idea. I'm just in information gathering mode now. He'll be in school the next few weeks so even though he'll have a kitchen in his hotel room, I think it'll give him a chance to get an idea of what he's comfortable cooking on his own. Then we can try to adapt it to the truck and try new things as he gets more comfortable.

4. rawe

rawe Light Load Member

May 29, 2015
    I cook most anything in the truck from chicken,meat pretty much everything . I have a toster oven i cook chicken in ,i cook pizza. , etc i have iron skillet, micowave, ive learned cheaper and save lots of time to just shower at truck stops and eat in truck . And better food too . Good luck

hoosiergirl Thanks this.
  5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On

I'm guessing you can adapt to anything. Thats excellent making your own pasta. Convection microwave would be up your alley for the truck IMG_0420.JPG

jt road hammer and loudtom Thank this.
  6. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Well have a refrigerator microwave, convection oven, and an electric skillet. Oh yeah and a coffee machine. I make steaks chicken chops what ever I'm in the mood for that week. I restock usually every two weeks on the road. I very seldom with eat in a truck stop and if I do it's usually for breakfast ( only cause I was too lazy to make it lol).

hoosiergirl Thanks this.
  7. PhilKenSebben

PhilKenSebben Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ocala, FL
    Was gonna say an Insta-pot but it sounds like you've already got one. If I had to bring 1 thing, thats what I'd bring.

hoosiergirl Thanks this.
  8. hoosiergirl

May 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Yes, I have 2 and I love them. I can do just about anything in them and doesn't heat my kitchen up.

PhilKenSebben Thanks this.
  9. PhilKenSebben

PhilKenSebben Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ocala, FL
    Our favorite crock-pot died and we were recomended to try one. It sat around for a couple weeks before we used it (Neither of us ever used a P-cooker before), once we did we couldn't wait to keep using it. Saute & cook all in one pan? Pft, please.

hoosiergirl Thanks this.
  10. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Nordic Ware makes a microwavable egg dish that only takes 45-60 seconds to cook an egg in. I think I got mine at Wal-Mart. I've got a waffle maker also, so he could go that route. Figure out how to carefully mix the batter in a disposable bowl and it should be simple enough.

I've also got a Soda Stream. I'll mix frozen juice with soda water for sparkling juice, or use those little Mio squirt bottles. I also like to add plain carbonated water to my pancake batter to make them fluffier. I also do cold brew coffee by just putting some grounds in a mason jar, filling it with water, and putting it in the fridge the night or day before I plan on drinking it. I've got a french press to filter it out and pour it into my cup over ice.

I've got a foldable bicycle that I keep in its case on the top bunk. Rubber resistance bands will fit anywhere. I would suggest the thicker, round ones instead of the flat bands. I've got one rated at 50lbs that sits in the pocket above the passenger seat.

hoosiergirl Thanks this.
  11. hoosiergirl

May 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Waffle makers are great and pretty versatile. I make omelets and hash browns in ours.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.