What are the most dangerous roads / mountain passes in the lower 48

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JR80, Aug 24, 2013.

1. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    This guy is a rookie and he is a SUPER TRUCKER...Sony Pruitt would be Proud..

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    alds, Locke and pattyj Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wndwlkr101

wndwlkr101 Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2013
    I've hauled apples out of WA for many years. I've been to every corner of the state. Cougfan is correct. Getting into WA is the biggest problem. There are some two lanes though that aren't any fun at all which lead back to sheds for pickup.

I84 isn't a fun road in the winter. It doesn't matter what state you are in either.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Is that one of the worst or best states for dangerous mountains?

5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Talking about this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_95_in_Idaho

YEP...stop at that scale/brake check at the top, walk over to the lookout edge....seems like you could just drop a rock onto the Swift terminal down at the bottom!

That is a fun little 5 mile stretch with 46,000 pounds of paper loaded out of Usk, WA!!!!

DoneYourWay and baha Thank this.
  6. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    Colorado has the top of my list for nasty grades and routes.....like someone said, US 50 (Monarch) from Montrose to Pueblo is definitely one to NOT DO when winter and storms are present!

JR80 and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  7. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    That sleeper would get mighty cozy!!!!

Ah well...obviously he doesn't ride solo!

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  8. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Best post in the entire thread here...ALL grades have the potential to become deadly very fast if you treat them with the "I know what I'm doing attitude".....Some are worse than others that's a fact...but treat them all with respect and don't try and out drive yourself ....the mountain itself.....your equipment/load....or the road/traffic conditions and you'll be fine.

alds, JR80, NJ Newbie and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    While in training I drove thru Donner and hated every second of it.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  10. JR80

JR80 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks for the the replies folks. Got an encyclopedia of info here now about my question over night. Great site.

11. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

I drove all 48 when I did drive and the ONLY 3 passes that made the Pucker factor go Thru the seat so to speak where Monarch the Summer of 99 when I did it in a Midroof with Henderson with NO Jakes hauling 46K lbs of Sweet Corn. Parlay going into SLC the one time I had a Trainee go Mental on me and throw it into Neutral Scream WE are going to die as I was in the back. When I got him Out of the seat throwing him across the cab and in the seat in nothing but my Skivvies we where doing 85 MPH down that Sucker. Needless to say I Stood on the Brakes Slowed down got it to a speed where I could 1 Throw it into gear and 2 Get the JAKES screaming. Slowing her down from 85+ cooked the Brakes so I was screwed if I needed them and I was passed the Runaway ramp already. Last time I got scared to Hell was going down Donner when the ECM blew in my Truck and shorted out the Electrical system in a Blizzard now that WAS FUN. Lose all power in the truck all Gauges Everything and I am on Ice and snow at Night as I drove then with NO LIGHTS ON DONNER. What FUN THAT NIGHT WAS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.