What are the risks for brokers dealing with new driver authority?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by SteveScott, Jun 17, 2018.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Brokers, how have you been burned by drivers with new authority? Are there ways to deal with these drivers to mitigate the risk? How long must a new authority have been active to ease your concerns?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    So there is no risk? It was just fake news?

4. NHS

NHS Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    So I’ll say from a brokers perspective using someone with a new authority is somewhat intuitive. It has been said before you generally know who you are dealing with within the first 30 seconds of a phone call whether or not the person on the other end of the line is trustworthy and competent. That could go for anyone though no matter how old the authority.

A new authority doesn’t always mean a green carrier that doesn’t know what they are doing, could be a company driver or o/o of many years or a new company with a solid foundation. Even still if I Take a call from someone that sounds a little wet behind the ears, if they ask the right questions, seem knowledgeable, and their insurance checks out, I’ll probably give them a chance to prove me wrong. Most of my freight isn’t super time sensitive or of high value so I suppose that plays a part in my willingness to give people a try.

However I will say if I have a hot load and I see a truck with a newer authority posted that is not setup with my company, I’m probably not calling out to them, simply from a time savings perspective of negotiating a price, getting the rate approved, then getting them setup. However if they call me on a load like that, it will be a judgement call at that time to see if they are worth the risk and the time it takes to get them on board.

As far as how long a carriers authority must be active to ease concerns, I can’t really say there is a time frame that applies for me. To me it’s about the person on the other end of the line, does it sound like it’s someone I’m willing to risk my reputation on with my customer on the load in question? If so then I’ll probably be willing to work with them.

DSK333, speedyk and SteveScott Thank this.
  5. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    That's great information, and exactly what I was looking for. Just out of curiosity, what insurance limits to you look for and would increased limits on a driver with new authority improve their chances for booking a load with your company?

6. NHS

NHS Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Amount of insurance on a new authority doesn’t really play a factor for me, just get the standard limits 1 Mil General liability & auto Liability and $100,000 Cargo should get you plenty far, unless your are looking at hauling something specialized or requiring you to carry more than $100k routinely. As far as workman’s comp, if you are required to carry it, just go with the standard limits or whatever you agent suggests.

Might suggest going with an agency that will allow you to easily increase your cargo insurance for single trips of higher cargo insurance if need be. Also make sure get your insurance through a company with a decent AmBest rating (B+ or higher). Not only will that ensure your claims will get paid but there are firms out there that will not work with you with a lower rated company or if you have one that is “Non-rated”.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  7. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    I appreciate your input. Great info.

8. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Most of the problems I've had in this business were with new carriers. This is mostly because they haven't figured out how to run a trucking company yet and are still making tons of major mistakes that they will ultimately fix or go out of business... The rest of the reason for problems is desperation because they are under-capitalized.

Like NHS I will still work with newer carriers that I get a good feeling from on the phone... Particularly if the load is low stakes for the customer.

DSK333 and SteveScott Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK I see that it isn't the insurance, which is an excuse i heard from many brokers, but rather a problem with relationship building and possible damage of a reputation.

So the problem I see with many new authorities as NHS mentioned is they do not know how to run their business but then it brings up the question from my side of the fence (which is sort of answered by Bored), would means testing of a new authority and maintaining minimal capital to function as a business put the new authorities on a different level and ease the problem working with a new authority?

IN addition to this, should there be on both sides of the fence having an authority having to also prove there is a business structure that allows it to function properly?

SteveScott and PPDCT Thank this.
  10. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yes absolutely. I'm always happy to work with anyone properly capitalized who can run a trucking company. I can usually tell almost immediately if the person I'm dealing with is green or an old hand. The big question I always have about the old hands is why do they have a new MC number? There are lots of good reasons, but there are also a ton of bad reasons. It's pretty routine for me to ask where they were before and why they are on a new MC number. If they sound sketchy about it I usually do some digging or just pass immediately if the load is going to be easy to cover.

The sad truth is that if a load is easy to cover I'm not likely to be willing to do any work at all on things like really carefully checking someone. The easy to cover loads are the good loads from the truck perspective lol.

DSK333 and PPDCT Thank this.
  11. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    I'm finally beginning to see somewhat of a pattern here and understanding why there would be "some" hesitation on the part of established brokers to deal with new authority. It seems to be two fold, with some worried about lack of business experience and financial resources to make a new MC holder a reliable choice, and the second being that some are worried about the abilities of a newer driver. Some old school O/O's seem to think that it's all about experience, and believe that those with less experience than themselves have no business being on the road. From the broker's perspective it all boils down to providing a safe and reliable carrier to haul his customer's freight. It seems to me that as has already been mentioned that a broker can get a feel for an O/O with a single phone call and make an educated guess if they sound trustworthy and reliable.

What do brokers do in the case of a small or medium sized fleet where you have a business relationship with a particular dispatcher within that company but have no idea about the reliability of the drivers? It's not like there is a Yelp review on every driver that you as a broker can look at. Case in point, the last company I worked for would occasionally use brokered loads to get a truck closer to a pick up location for a good paying load. A couple times these brokered loads were frozen foods and there was an appointment for the unload, and the driver arrived late for the appointment time and had to wait until the next day to get unloaded. Of course this not only was a service fail for the brokered load, but it messed up the pick up times for the higher paying loads. Would a broker be more hesitant to deal with that company in the future, or let it go because there would be plenty more business from this carrier to make up for it? Personally I could never understand how a driver could be late for an appointment time unless there was a freeway closure or mechanical breakdown. These two guys simply over slept and the dispatcher wrote if off as no big deal because it was a brokered load. Of the handful of brokered loads I hauled for this employer, almost half had significant errors made by the agent that really messed me up. Things like no mention of lumpers, and incorrect delivery times. I seem to recall that the problem loads all came through Coyote.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.