What are the risks for brokers dealing with new driver authority?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by SteveScott, Jun 17, 2018.

1. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I'm really clear with the carrier that I can't have that driver on my loads again. More often than not they at least claim that the driver no longer works for them. I know drivers are scarce, but most of the time if I'm at this point usually the dispatcher has had their fill too. If it happens again we're probably done.

This isn't just being late. It's screwing up in a way that makes us look bad to the customer. Problems happen. Stupid #### is something else entirely.

EDIT: The last one of these I had was a trucker who had a girlfriend (I'm guessing some lot lizard he'd picked up a few stops back) traveling with him who he was offering to the dock crew. They were both pretty trashy. I was pretty unhappy when I heard that he'd been loaded and was on his way. I was REALLY grateful that load wasn't perishable. That trucking company wasn't nearly big enough to get used again though... This was way too far. There was basically no chance that illegal drugs weren't involved with that situation. I'm also 100% sure that the trucking company fired the driver... But they also 100% hired him and being desperate and having poor judgement is a pretty good reason for me to not work with you.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    SteveScott Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Any time a carrier induces a service failure, it makes me absolutely unlikely to use them in the future. If a carrier makes their hit times, does what they're supposed to do based on what we agreed upon, and conducts themselves professionally- then I'll absolutely use them again.

@NHS and @boredsocial have both touched on the risks of dealing with a new entrant. I've talked about it elsewhere, but generally on most of my freight I'm fine with dealing with newer MC#s- especially after I feel them out. Now, on loads that are important to my customer, I for sure screen that little bit more carefully.

DSK333 and SteveScott Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.