What are the safest and most dangerous truckstops??

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bananaz, Aug 6, 2006.

1. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Ah, a man of culture and fine tastes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    I would say anyplace in West Memphis, Chicago, Gary, St Louis, Birmingham or Dallas. They are all dumps and ghettos. The exceptions are in the Southern area of the Chicago Burbs, like Monee and south of Birmingham at the J at the I-59/20 Exit 108. Stayed at the Petro and Pilot in Monee there a number of times with no problems. The Petro gets so crowded sometimes, they have another parking lot across the street. The J below Birmingham is new and clean and service is excellent. It's gotten to where if I have to be in Chicago early, I will go down to Monee or either our yard in Portage, IN and stay the night. We now have a new yard in Dallas that is near the TA and the Blue Beacon, but across the Interstate from the TA. I don't know if I'd stay there or not. I can still smell the TA from there. :biggrin_2552: There is a small truck stop off of I-90 /I-91 / 291 in Springfield, Mass. Just found it the other day and it's kind of hidden. Called the "Pride Truck Stop" and it's an AMbest. Not bad, reasonably clean, nothing fancy with a 50's cafe and the only scales in the area.

4. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    The pride truck stop in Springfield mass is my stop whenever I am in that area. Nice 50 styles diner, with good food, and good service. Parking can be tuff, but I have found a spot even at 11pm.

5. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    My least favorite T/S's are the near any big city and my favorite ones are the one who aren't. Of course I have a few favs. Two are on US 97 in Or Gordy's and Molly's. There are a handful on I-84 I like in Idaho. On I-80 Little America in Little America,Wy., the Bossleman's/Pilot in Big Springs and Grand Island, Ne.,and the TA in Walcott,IA There is only three places I like in Cali. Least is the Pilot in Dunnigan and if thats full I can scoot up to Bill and Kathy's,second is in Corning with four places to choose from,and my fav is the dinky little restraunt in Pollard Flats( yes thats the real name for the village)

6. moonshadow

moonshadow Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Denver
  7. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That looks like the Peelot in Denver, one of the most screwed up T/S's that I've been too. The problem with that one is when the fuel island gets backed up its its a bear to get in to park or get to the Beacon.

8. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    I have never had a bad experience at a truck stop with people. I have found that if you treat people with respect they will treat you the same. I travel the entire east coast and yes some of the truck stops leave somethings to desire and they could definitely do better. The best way to let the bad ones know that you don't like them is by taking your business elsewhere. I do find that much of the trouble comes from unprofessional drivers. Feet up on chairs in lounges, pee bottles left in the middle of the parking lots, etc. Dress like a pro, act like a pro, and most of all drive like a pro and you will find things pretty good.
    John

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    Spent Wednesday night at the TA Jessup. No lot people at all. The entire place is a little on the dirty side. All the showers need is some of the stuff that you just spray and they would be OK. They seem to be trying and I definitely think that the videos on You Tube will make all these places better. The wait staff in the restaurant are all top notch, nice people.

John

HFC Thanks this.
  10. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Pilot in Denver has some of the scariest counter staff going. The best one was this chick that was probably 5' and 200 lbs, she was nice, but whew, they used to have one that looked like an ad for a tattoo parlor. Now they are just rude.

The T/A in Alb. is an all-time worst, what a dump, they have tried to clean it up and fix it up, it's never worked. The fuel desk staff area bunch of crooks, almost got me for credit card and ID theft.

Any of the truckstops along I-80 from Grand Island, Ne. to Evanston, Wyo. are generally good places to stop, except the Diamond Shamrock in Cheyenne, what a dump, the only redeeming value, cheap fuel and Subway.

11. popmartian

popmartian Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    It's not the city where the bad TS are located, its the lousy employees who don't care! Poor management is evident at National fuel stops across America. The best TS are the independent owned and operated that have kind and caring employees. pilot, ta, petro and flying j are not truck stops they are travel centers for the masses. Many mom and pop TS are going out of business because the fleets are looking to save money on fuel at the expense of service.
    All Big Cities have one thing in common! poorly staffed and dirty bathrooms and food so bad it comes with a warning. I like the La Grange Truck Stop I-85 NB EXIT 13 in Georgia. Plenty of parking, laundry, showers, full service restaurant, Shop and friendly young wait staff.

HFC and roaddawg92 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.