What are the safest and most dangerous truckstops??

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bananaz, Aug 6, 2006.

1. socalborn

socalborn Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Lincoln, Nebraska for now
    I found a reply to my question, but any more advice would be cool. Do people mess with you at the rest stops along the freeways. I stayed at some in Montana, Wyoming, and Nebraska and din't have any problems. Is that normal? Was I lucky? I always parked near others and in the light. Did that help?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I had a good samaritan driver help me diagnose a plugged fuel filter at that truckstop. My truck could barely top 58 mph. He was part of a team for FedEx ground. He came up on me and asked why I was poking along so slowly. I told him I couldn't go any faster and that my truck usually did 65 mph. He followed me and told me to pull into little America. Turns out his team member was a cummins mechanic. He got out, opened my hood, toyed with the accelerator and said "Got to be the fuel filter. They'll change it here for about $27." I thanked them and offered to buy them some coffee, they politely declined and just left, bidding me a safe journey. $27 and a new fuel filter later my truck was back to 65 mph.

BigRigRick Thanks this.
  4. Cocky

Cocky Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2005
    I still hate the Bordentown Petro and Pilot. Also the Pilot in Columbia, SC can be a nightmare at the wrong times of the day as it can be a hassle getting back to I26 from their lot not to mention the extremely tight parking area.

But my favorites have to be the Cartersville, Ga TA, the Cisco in Kingsland, Ga off of I95 exit1. And I generally enjoy most Flying J's.

5. legacy

legacy Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Besides the obvious location of the stop, what makes you decide to choose that location? Is it the fuel, the service, the food, or what? Would you choose an area that had good food, secured area for parking, clean shower, real bed, etc but no fuel?

My father in law is a former driver and I am checking out what truckers need/want while away from home base. Trying to figure out what dictates where a driver stops and why.

I have been reading over a few of these threads and I have found that some places seem downright evil. What drives you to stop there anyways?

Thanks in advance for any info
    Legacy

6. Gallantry

Gallantry Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Western North Carolina
    I've been reading over Road Hazard's comments since I know him as a fellow employee (no more) and we are from the same area. He's right about the Wilco at exit 139 on I-26 (St. Matthews exit) in SC. I've never had problems there but have seen plenty who have. Seems to be a certain element who 'camps out' in the parking lot looking for 'easy marks' for self entertainment. Don't blame this element on 'Southerners' as they seem to be mostly from the NE for some strange reason.

I've seen the cops there on a number of ocassions and the CB 'garbage' coming out of there can be horrendous in the evenings. The management there is the weakest I've ever seen (easy to see why) and seem to openly tolerate the 'garbage' - it's up to the individual customers to call the cops whan 'accosted' by fools with too much time on their hands. Haven't been by there in a few years - maybe it's changed? Hoping so as I haven't been in another one like it ever.

:smt045

7. KAMAZ

KAMAZ Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2006
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    I thought they were all safe. My favorite is Flying J EVERYWHERE! Can't say anything bad about them.

8. jack5

jack5 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2005
    garland,tx
    The only bad thing about Flying J's are that they get full after 9:00pm. The one in Oak Grove,KY gets full after 7:00Pm. They are good if you get there early. Just a thought.

9. KAMAZ

KAMAZ Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2006
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Yes, I noticed that. It is probably because they are the best.

10. NannyB

NannyB Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Greenville, Texas
    Hi you dont have to dread the Walt Whitman in Philly any longer it is closed finally:occasion7: tried to get a check cashed last time I was in Philly ended up going back to Bordentown Wonder if they will tear it down and put something better in???:thumbup:

11. themlilboots

themlilboots Heavy Load Member

Dec 9, 2005
    I must have been half asleep when I pulled into truckstops, because I don't remember seeing lot lizards or pimps. I do remember "Jim's Truckstop" in New York State, it was dirty and small.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.