What are you thoughts on hauling overweight out of the quarry?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TurkeyCreekJackJohnson, Apr 23, 2024.

1. TurkeyCreekJackJohnson

TurkeyCreekJackJohnson Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2024
    South Western US
    Yesterday I had a conversation with one of the operations guys in the yard at my company. We talked about some changes at the quarries we haul out of and how a lot of the drivers are now coming out overweight, some by alot apparently. Long story short, I feel like he wanted me to haul overweight, but wouldn't cross the line and actually say it. What hung me up was he said I was "one of the few drivers to actually take the time to trim my loads and stay under gross". He went on to wonder "if the time wasted by the quarry changes and me having to trim was costing US money", which I would assime it is. Call me paranoid, but my alarms went off. I'm one of almost 2 dozen end dump drivers in the fleet of almost a hundred drivers in a mixed fleet. This is the 1st time I've gotten a bad impression with this company. Been there almost 2 months now and I haven't had one negative thought till now. Am I being paranoid? Should I start taking CYA measures? What would you do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    If he said something about it, you're gonna be screwed down the way somewhere. When he mentioned that you're one of the few.... that means everyone else has gotten the talk.

This is one of those "personal decisions" you're gonna have to make. You been around long enough to know both... what's right... and to know how the game is played.
    I think if I was safety conscious enough to be doing it in the first place, that's where I'd stay. But again, its a decision YOU will have to make.

Good luck my friend.....

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The way my mind works:

Information is never free. If management wants to talk to me, something’s wrong. Your instincts are almost always correct. From your post, I gather that the manager recognizes that you know the job, do the job well AND you are CONSISTENT.

High compliment!

However….you are “feeling” a certain way about the job now. Manipulation? What do you do?

Don’t react. Keep doing exactly what you were doing before and act as if the conversation never happened. The operations manager will be watching. Do not speak to anyone you work with about anything job related. “Hi” and “bye” only. People talk.

“But Six, I am paranoid about this job now.”

Don’t be. Rock solid, knowledgeable CONSISTENT drivers are rare. They’d have to be serious fools to cut an A Game Driver. Keep doing the job exactly like you have been. You have a strong hand. Manager is hoping that you “feel” the need to comply and fold.

Luck in battle.

5. 54international

54international Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2024
    At least he didn't ask you to drop the trailers on the scale to get your weight ticket.

Yes, the powers are putting the lean on you.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Who pays the ticket? Company pays the ticket I’d load however they want.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Get that in writing.

I got burned by a company that said they would pay OW tickets. A year after the ticket, my license was suspended. Had to go to the county court, pay the fines, then go to the capital to get my CDL reinstated, then go to my local DMV to retest on the written parts of the CDL and all endorsements. This was mid 90’s so the process has probably changed. I changed too, because now I want double rate.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

What I have done to avoid having the difficult moment with management that might ask me to drive illegally is during the conversation that might lead to being asked to run outlaw BUT BEFORE THEY ASK ME is I tell them about a friend of mine that worked for this bottom of the barrel company that asked him to do something illegal, and then tell them how proud I was my friend said "no", and end the story by saying it sure is good to work for a company like ABC Trucking that never asks me to run as an outlaw, It makes the point I wanted to make without having to tell the dispatcher to go pound sand. Then they know don't ask him to run outlaw. Mostly this is best handled by choosing where to work so you never have that conversation because they won't ask anyone to run outlaw. Companies can change over time, so it can happen at good companies.

10. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Unpopular opinion here probably, but if you haven’t done dump you won’t understand, If you aren’t heavy, you aren’t making money, a lot of places have actually gone to no overweight outbound and will sit you off to the side for “time out” for a couple hours if you come in more then 10k overweight.

I really don’t ever want to see a bucket in my mirror ever again…

Oh, and you will get either starved out until you quit, or fired for something stupid, and someone will come in and do it, for less money

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  11. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    A couple of questions...Are you paid by the ton, on a percentage basis, or are you hourly?
    Is there any financial incentive for you to run heavy?
    Are you losing loads each day because of the time taken to trim your load?
    Do you cross state scales after you leave the quarry?
    Did the operations person you talked to initiate the conversation and was there any other reason for your talk?
    Right or wrong, if you're "one of the few" you're going to stick out like a sore thumb.
    In rock hauling the pressure is always on to get as much tonnage every day as you can. Don't let them guilt you into ruining your driving record.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.