What areas city or states should a new truck driver avoid and why?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Yosemite_Sam, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Yosemite_Sam

Yosemite_Sam Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2024
    I'm based out of KY and have a 53 foot dry van.

lual Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    None. You have to go where your company tells you to go. Personally, I think companies should keep new drivers out of the northeast but a lot of them don't.

Tall Mike and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. Hatt91

Hatt91 Light Load Member

May 18, 2018
    I don't have an exact answer for you. Eventually, you'll have to go into cities or facilities that are challenging. It's part of the job.

Some advice I would give is do your research. When you have your load assignment, find the address and use Google Street view. Take a look around. Find where the entrance to the facility is. Is it a narrow street? Is it a one-way street?

Most cities have some website that gives truck drivers tips on how to get around. Find the truck routes, look for low bridges along your route as you are trip planning. Look for dead ends or places you can turn around him. All this is done BEFORE you get to the city you are headed to. Have a plan.

If you get into the city and you get lost or you're in a tight spot where you can't turn anywhere. Stop. Just stop. Put on your flashers and call the local police. They might be a little miffed that you're in a predicament, but they should be able to help you get out of your predicament. Stay humble, and stay calm.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ah yes, wouldn't that be nice, go only to the nice places. Maybe in heaven, pal, but nowhere, except the moon, should be off limits. While you may find, some areas are less desirable than others, unless you have a regional or local job, you really should go where the boss tells you. All major cities are a clusterfxxx, a traffic jam is a traffic jam. Some say never NYC, but IDK, how bad could it be? Some hate Chicago, Atlanta is nuts, anywhere in Texas is busy, and the less said about California, the better. Today with social media, it can't possibly be any scarier than before we had those things.

exhausted379 Thanks this.
  6. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Anywhere east of I-35 and west of I-15

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    OK, you came to this profession. You need to deal with it, good or bad. And there's really nothing all that bad about it. You have your truck, you pick your load, you deliver the load and you get rich ! Well, kinda' rich. Just think of it as fun times. A challenge. You will stand tall, especially after you delivered in the Bronx, or ran west from Denver in Jan in zero degree weather. Now go, my Son, accept your challenge, and have fun. Nobody ever said it would be easy. :argue:

8. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Indiana ohio tenn wv to start but MO is good, try to go there

Yosemite_Sam and 77fib77 Thank this.
  9. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Trip plan, trip plan and trip plan some more and it won’t matter as much. Figure out how many hours you’re gonna have, where are you gonna park, look up the facility on Google Earth, on Google maps, read the reviews from other drivers find out if they have overnight parking, how early they will let you arrive or if they will turn you away, And always have a back up plan if something falls through

Yosemite_Sam, 2Tap and FearTheCorn Thank this.
  10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If your are a new driver -- note that some cities, such as Chicago & in/around the New York City area -- there are structures built with clearances that aren't high enough for modern big rigs.

Your trip planning will thus have to check for low clearance issues, especially when delivering in urban areas. Then plan your routing around them.

One great way to search for such is in the front part of the Rand McNally truckers version road atlas -- available in bookstores, on-line...& in most any truck stop. This truckers reference guide lists low clearance locations in all states.

For trip planning -- I consider it a "must have" info source for a serious professional truck driver.

I found the biggest problem with driving a big rig in the northeast is the incredible lack of parking.

Make the parking search part of your trip planning, especially up in the northeast -- or if you will be near the end of your DOT clock while in or near major urban areas.

Note also that many truck stops fill up fast &/or early. Some stay full.

There are phone apps that you can download (like "Trucker Path") that will help you greatly with this problem.

For parking -- plan ahead. Have more than one option in your plan before hitting the road.

Also -- some shippers & receivers will let you park on their facility overnite.

You can find out by calling ahead, & asking -- or reading their online reviews (or both).

-- L

Yosemite_Sam, 77fib77 and SL3406 Thank this.
  11. FearTheCorn

FearTheCorn Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Omaha
    What he said. Trip plan, trip plan, trip plan. Don't be one of those drivers who goes into a busy city at 2200 and thinks they are going to find a place to park. Not gonna happen unless you are hip to a secret cubby hole or can park at the customer. Staying outside of the city is usually safer anyway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.