What can you have in your truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Brucely, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    This is the truck stop baked ( microwaved ) potato.

20180304_175050.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Not sure if there's any potato left after all that butter

stwik and WesternPlains Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    No butter, just sour cream, pepper, dash of salt. I love A1 on them, but forgot to get some on the supply run.

Brucely Thanks this.
  5. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

My reply would be like when I make homemade sweet tea..."I like a little tea with my sugar.".

Same with a baked potato..."I like potato with my butter and sour cream."

An no, the shape I closely resemble is not a circle, or oval. Ha ha!

I enjoy eating what I shouldn't. I pay for it though by having to do some walking. All that other exercising is likely to kill me. ;)

An now I must go make a baked potato. Curse you Dave, curse you! I will get you and your little dog* to!

Sirscrapntruckalot - *corn dog of course. I'd never steal a pet.

Brucely Thanks this.
  6. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    I think nearly all trucks have little fridges in them now. Many come with inverters. Mine didn’t, so I installed a 2500 watt. It runs a 750 watt microwave and my Kcup coffee maker. Tonight I had salad and beef stroganoff. A lot of the frozen entrees and the stuff that you microwave that doesn’t have to be frozen is acceptable nowadays.

Brucely Thanks this.
  7. Brucely

Feb 19, 2018
    Genius idea! I just realized we could just buy nutrisystem meals and stock them in the mini fridge and just microwave. U get healthy frozen food plus losing weight ☺

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Since my company now allows large inverters I have more options.
    I use a 12V lunchbox oven or two, and a toaster oven and small electric grill off the inverter.
    I use a Coleman 12V cooler to keep things cold. Most times very cold.

With that combination I can keep a good supply of fresh food and make some pretty good meals.
    Rice, baked potatoes, any veggy, hamburgers and fish and chicken.
    I eat as well on the truck as I do at home, although a bit less variety.

Things like mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, fried rice... those are not really possible without a real stove and larger pots and pans.

I don't use a microwave in the truck, or at home. It just ruins the flavor of anything, and nothing cooks correctly in them. They are a real wasted technology as far as I'm concerned. Always have been.
    Real heat is the only way to cook properly. Nuking just blasts everything from the inside out.

Brucely Thanks this.
  9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    When it gets nicer out. A camp stove. Or at least one burner stove. Outside would work nicely.
    Perhaps a Dutch Oven?

I agree on the microwave. I don't have the power yet. If I did. I'd get a convection/toaster oven.

Brucely Thanks this.
  10. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I used to have an electric skillet, crock pot, electric kettle and toaster oven. Fridge was built in, although when I started I had a 12v Coleman cooler.

Now running team, we both exhaust our 70 hours every 6-7 days and don’t have much desire to spend and hour or two cooking up meals on the go.

Instead, I brought a microwave and do all my cooking at home. A pot of stew, usually a pot of cabbage/bacon/veggies, cook up a bunch of steaks and some finger foods - meatballs, boiled eggs, chicken wings, fried pepperoni, etc. I freeze it all before I leave home in Tupperware, and I have my fridge turned way down so it will stay frozen all week.

There’s about 30 meal sized portions in my fridge, and I just nuke whatever I feel like for my meals.

I’ve also been keto for about 6 years, so there’s almost nothing in a truck stop or fast food restaurant that I’m willing to buy.

Brucely Thanks this.
  11. Brucely

Feb 19, 2018
    I heard about keto! It sounds kinda dangerous for me. I mean it's a high-fat diet (and we're not talking omega-3s) where people eat bacon with the fat intact... like as in.. they don't remove it before cooking.

My guess is they do the same for steak?

Just doesn't sound right, even though it's probably not bad at all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.