What companies out there sponsor for Class 1

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by KRYMYNAL, Jul 12, 2022.

1. KRYMYNAL

KRYMYNAL Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2021
    I can shift a 13 speed. My backing does need practice, only because I don't use it enough to become a habit.

I can't afford to pay the license and practice myself. I know most suggest not going to big companies for a license. I have no other choice but to do that.

What are the best companies to look at far as getting my class 1 and working goes?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    None. Prepare to sell your body and soul to them for 2-3 years. Prepare to not be home much and be treated like crap.

4. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Go do something else, literally anything else, even if its 7-11, you will make more and be happier.

5. ilovetruckz

ilovetruckz Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2021
    can i make 6k a month at 7-11?

6. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    First year driver my pay was more like half of that a month.

7. ilovetruckz

ilovetruckz Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2021
    if you want to make the big bucks you have to pull trains and like LTL and tarping.. money in the bank

8. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    22 years ltl. Best thing I ever did.

9. Florescent-android92

Florescent-android92 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2021
    If you become a regional manager, probably.

Anyways, most first year jobs pay in the neighborhood of 4000 per month. That's what I got and I was more than happy. I'm past 2 years and still make the same, only I work about 20 hours less per week than when I started, so there's an equilibrium at play here.

I'd check out GFS. I think they have dock-to-driver programs. Can't think of another company that trains people, being that this isn't 'murica and we have a seemingly endless supply of third world drivers lining up to work for pennies. Eh

10. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    You did well, most guys I seen in OTR never did better than 2500-3000/mo (take home) inside of 2 years, MAYBE 3300-3500 after that, but rare (Van/Reefer/Deck). I went O/O to make 5-6K/mo (Take Home), until the costs to operate, became more than my truck payment/payroll combined.

Anyway, you are correct, we have 0 sponsored training programs in Canada, there are SOME government re-training programs, but unless you go to Bison and do DFP, you will never get hired ANYWHERE (know 3 laid off trades guys who tried it, never drove a day). Right now I'm looking to get a Class 3A guy upgraded to Class 1A, and the answer I got from everyone was "Why? we have new Class 1 drivers arriving daily" so yes, there is no more in investment in domestic drivers. These new arrivals, have also figured out how to bypass MELT, not sure how its being done, but its being done. (Plane lands to Driving in 2 weeks).

It pisses me off so much, I actually told my company, to leave me out of any kind of HR/Recruiting efforts, not my problem, don't care.

11. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    No but after paying for his MELT Class 1, and the companies he will have to slave for for 3-5 years, all to make 3000/mo take home (maybe), he could simply work at 7-11, do every other Saturday, get some free food, not have debt, have a life, and be much farther ahead.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.