What companies use Lonestars as Company trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by duckdaddy, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North

I guess he is living in a fantasy land,

I don't know why someone thinks they need 550 horses and 18 spd to haul general freight, I haul heavy and 474 is more than plenty for me,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I ran a T6 with Werner, and I hated that darned truck!! The look was alright, and I did like the fuel mileage. However, it didn't steer or back up like a long nose or a short nose truck. Some kinda danged inbetweener in wheelbase. Furthermore, if the roads got just a bit slippery (snow covered especially), it didn't matter how much frieght I had, the danged truck felt squirrely in the drives. I remember rolling across I-80 in IL, there was about 1' to 1 1/2' of snow on the highway with more coming. Road surface was slippery as all get out, but all the other trucks were rolling along alright, and I had to get mine off the bloody road cause I couldn't hold the danged thing straight at 35 mph!! Had to pull off into that Sapp Bros, call the cons. in Cedar Rapids, IA, and let them know I was gonna be late (office told me they didn't want the load for another day or two anyway, go figure) and let dispatch know I was gonna be late and why. The funny thing was I had been requesting new tires for my drives for a month and a half before the bad weather hit, but the Allentown shop refused to replace them, and I couldn't get to another shop for a second opinion. Besides, I don't like the interior of the KW t6 and w9s. Everytime I want to jump from the driver's seat to the bunk, I thought I was gonna pull my hamstring. I much prefer an International 9900 for interior comfort.

4. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North

Because companies are in business to make a profit, the trucking industry has razor thin profit margins, why would a company buy a 160,000 dollar Lonestar or Peterbuilt, when a 110,000 dollar Cascadia or prostar will do the job just fine and be more economical. Long hoods, big horsepower, 18 speed trannys are all unnesesary expenses.

Werners KW's are ugly and plain, so I don't know why anyone would think they are special driving one, and most of those companies are phasing out those old trucks and are starting to go with more aroedynamic trucks anyway, because that is the way the industry is going.

5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    when my boss was looking to buy me a new truck KW and Pete came by. A similar equipped '09 Pete to my '09 Mack (new truck) was $130,000, the company paid $112,500 after discounts for my Mack. They ordered but haven't taken delivery of a '10 Mack that was $117,500 after discounts.

6. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Im not sure why you think werner's KWs are ugly, but I realize they are plain. But plain doesnt bother me, they are still great looking trucks. I would much rather have an "ugly" w900 than my kissazzcadia....

I also have a 515 horse and dont know what the extra 35 HP is going to do for the OP.

Mack makes a pretty nice looking truck i think.... But were they looking at long noses or short?

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    wasn't so much nose length as it was wheelbase, engine, and weight.

Oh and to the OP, there is a bag manufacturing company that has bright green, metallic almost, Lonestars.

8. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    I was thinking about long nose look versus ugly crap like the cascadia...

9. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Calark has about 20 of them that I've seen. Course every lonestar I've seen apparently spent so much on the truck they can't afford a cb =D

10. Fratsit

Fratsit Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Brookings, SD
    ^^^^^^^

....or could they be a bit snobbish? :)

11. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

They probably turned it off...'Cause they got tired of hearing how f'ugly that thing is:yes2557:

About driving a sh-tspreader?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.