What Constitutes an Unlocked Phone?

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by scottied67, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    This is activating my PTSD from when the young people all laughed at my phone.

88 Alpha and Swiss Mountain Dog Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    My husband just gave up his Motorola flip phone, duct tape and all two years old. He's still cursing. I have him using the simplest smart phone on the planet and I set up his tablet so I can remotely fix it for him. (by fix it I mean clear his screen of random nonsense )

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Unlocked phones can be used with any carrier. They also are typically loaded with less junk. I had an unlocked phone and went from Straight Talk to Cricket with nothing more than a sim card switch out. If you have an ATT locked phone it might work with Cricket but will only use ATT towers. If your phone is unlocked you can tell Cricket to send you an ATT or Verizon compatible sim, or T mobile or whatever network is better for you in the areas you'll be going in.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    This is interesting and something I had no idea about.

6. mobilerepairboise

mobilerepairboise Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Boise Idaho
    It’s real I’m with straight talk for 6 months already

7. slim6596

slim6596 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    I’ll only buy universally compatible phones anymore. Had a Motorola Moto X Pure from Best Buy. Took it home and inserted my Verizon SIM. Worked great even though it was not listed on my account page (showed as unknown device). A few months ago, I bought an iPhone 8 Plus straight from the Apple website (256gb, SIM free-not carrier branded). Took the SIM out of the Moto, put it in the iPhone, signed into my accounts and was in business in less than 10 minutes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.