What do drivers do about jury summons?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TomCougar, Feb 22, 2020.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    My mailing address is a mailbox service. They scan everything that comes in. I can look at it over the internet. They'll open anything up when I request it. Scan what's inside.
    Americas Mailbox

As far as serving. They'll let me off. No way can I sit at home for a month on jury duty.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I got summons in the mail last summer, showed up and got paid a couple bucks for my time, it aint that bad . I tried to use the excuse i am an otr truck driver and they didnt care. Now this is a smaller court so if u live in a big city i would think it wouldnt matter much if u didnt show up but smaller towns i would think twice about it

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Agreed, most people go and sit for 4 to 6 hours and never actually get called for a case. Most of the time it is 2 to 3 days of sitting. Even if you get called the average case takes at most 2 days. I would imagine your chances of @REO6205 giving you a thousand bucks is greater than being on a case that lasts longer than 2 days.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    They selected me a few years ago, drove the 3 hours to get to the court house, put in a room and asked my views, was ushered out and have not been called again

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I got summoned last year in Mi. They had a list of penalties for not responding. Registered online, listed as an OTR Truckdriver. Not available. Released immediately,

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    About 30 years or so ago I was sitting in on a Voir dire session while they were trying to strike a Jury for a murder trial when a guy was being tried for killing a guy that was harming children. When the DA asked the guy if he could be fair he said no, they should give him a medal. It took the ADA about 15 seconds to dismiss that guy.

8. TomCougar

TomCougar Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    I would just say I think every person who is arrested is automatically guilty so I can't be impartial.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Last time I got called it was only for 1 day. There were 3 cases, 2 civil, 1 criminal. The civil cases settled, and the criminal was pleaded down, so after about 6 hours they cut us loose.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Wouldn't the burden of proof fall on them? Can't charge you if they have no proof you actually received it, right?

Long FLD Thanks this.
  11. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    In Cali if you have a driver lic they will get you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.