What do most truckers use to communicate with these days?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by 4x4jeepmanthing, Jul 6, 2018.

1. 4x4jeepmanthing

4x4jeepmanthing Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    lol im no cop, funny movie though.

just a dude with a jeep trying to learn what ive gotten myself into, if theres anything at all to connect to. thus far many here dont seem all to confident in the cb or any comm device.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Troy_

Troy_ Heavy Load Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    after watching a few of those winter interstate pileup videos, I can't help but wonder why anyone wouldn't have at least a CB radio in a truck.

Schoob and otterinthewater Thank this.
  4. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    For, the most part CB's are useless......I know I know....someone going to say but driver going down road with a flat tire....I can tell him...blah blah blah.... that's the exception not rule.....its not like it's a daily occurrence...

I have a small tablet mounted on my dash that has waza on it I can tell how for the back up is the speed that the traffic is going. And the start of it and end of it with out having to touch it...

And plan accordingly and I can get bear reports. And the Beauty of it the 4 wheelers are the ones supply the information.

And now with unlimited plans with cellphone service providers. You would be an idiot not having something similar IMO. and you dont even have to touch the tablet going down the road....

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  5. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I use Waze for trips I don’t need directions for specifically because of the traffic, debris, weather, and bear reports.

6. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Lots of guys still have and use the cb. The guys saying their useless, or no one uses them anymore. Well their just plain wrong, try channel 19 if no one there try 17. Or just scan the band, local channel us different all across the country.

7. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    I still use my CB radio, I have some of the aforementioned apps, but I guess I'm old fashioned about the CB.

rabbiporkchop and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  8. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    Have only a CB and cell phone now.

Oilfield we used CB and also had VHF ( I think that was it).

If I ever buy a truck I’d like both.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  9. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Ya, business band is mostly 150-160 mhz on VHF, or 450ish on UHF. I'm usually scanning 150 to 160 mhz on my 2 meter radio, trying to be nosy with other oilfield service companies.

10. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    TTR, lol!

SavageMuffin Thanks this.
  11. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    I don’t remember the band/channel we ran. We just used it ‘cause it was only us on it.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.